The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
Your role is to work with some general guidance and direction from a Senior Designer or Architect as needed. You will be developing elevations, sections, 3D renderings and architectural details for projects. You will be assisting on innovative and creative new prototypes designed with sustainable products with green architecture sensibility as your goals.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for projects of medium complexity/size.
- Inspires creativity, critical thought and design excellence both internally and externally.
- Conceptualizes a building design from both a functional and aesthetic perspective in concert with a client’s requirements, budget and program.
- Develops a design through sketches, physical models, electronic models, diagrams, massing studies, and other visual formats to express the design intent and communicate to project team, client, and building user groups.
- Utilizes BIM technologies in development of three dimensional models of buildings and their components.
- Participates in design critiques and pin-ups.
- Presents the design to stakeholders during early project phases. Develops building design in accordance with cost parameters.
- Develops space planning, block planning, and adjacency diagrams in coordination with building program.
- Evaluates and selects building systems and materials.
- Coordinates building systems to ensure compatibility with the design intent.
- Implements sustainable design principles into the design and environment.
- Analyzes site incorporating geotechnical, hydrological, environmental, social, economic and contextual conditions.
- Participates in development of the program and other pre-design efforts.
- Ensures that design intent is maintained through documentation and construction.
- Responsible for leading others in project team setting and design critiques and pin-ups.
- Participates in employee performance reviews and interviews of potential employees.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to engage in creative and critical thought.
- To produce design at a level that would be perceived externally as excellent.
- To hand sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively.
- To participate in project team setting.
- To lead one or more teams on medium size projects through the development of design concept.
- To check work of others for accuracy and completeness, and manage team to meet project budget and schedule.
- To interpret sketches, drawings, codes, building program and other similar material.
- To present abstract ideas to the client and client representatives.
- To apply accessibility codes, applicable building codes, and life-safety codes to a wide variety of project scopes and complexity.
- General knowledge of building construction systems, constructability, materials, and industry associated standards.
- General understanding of the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD,Abobe Creative Suite, SketchUP, Newforma, Sefaira, Recent modeling software; Prefer experience with 3D Printer, Laser cutter.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or related field & Registered Architect. Minimum of 5-6 years of experience. LEED Green Associate or LEED AP preferred.
- Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.