Electrical Engineer - Buildings
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
We have an immediate opportunity in our Edmonton office for an Electrical Engineer– Buildings with 10 years of experience in power system engineering.
The successful candidate shall demonstrate relevant experience in the following sectors:
- Building (commercial, light industrial, industrial, institutional, governmental)
- Healthcare facilities
- Mission Critical Facilities
- District energy (cogeneration, central cooling and/or heating plant)
- Experience in utility, water facilities, urban/residential underground services, airport and transportation sectors will be considered as an additional valuable asset
Your Key Responsibilities
- Preparing Master planning studies, preliminary engineering, detailed engineering, and contract administration for power distribution system (sizing and design of all required components)
- Interact with a multi-disciplinary team including architects, structural, mechanical, and electrical engineers, and technicians (ASME team). The candidate will have to support these staff and be capable of offering advice and guidance to solve complex electrical issues on a project needs basis.
- Interested in learning new technologies and techniques to stay up to date with current industry trends and practices.
Developing drawing packages including specifications suitable for tender and construction (Master Format 26 xx xx series) for:
- Service entrance, distribution backbones ranging from 120/208V to 25kV - Site wide distribution systems
- Generators systems
- Lightning protection
- Bonding and grounding system (power and telecom)
- Experience with UPS, battery bank, energy storage systems will be considered as an asset
- Carrying out power system studies including:
- Short circuit, coordination, arc flash
- Load flow
Coordinate with his/her supervisor to:
- Take ownership of project tasks or entire projects as required and produce all deliverables with minimum supervision
- Identify all deliverables to be produced
- Propose or adhere to project schedule
- Propose options to solve technical challenges
- Interact with client’s on a project needs basis to understand the scope of work identify client’s needs and budgetary limitations which may impact design choices
- Self-organized, and autonomous to successfully deliver projects: - Recommend design strategies or technologies suiting project’s needs and budget - Organize project execution using company’s staff and resources as required
Your Capabilities and Credentials
Familiar with the following software suite:
- MS office suite and MS project
- SKM’s PTW or OTI’s ETAP
- Additional knowledge of REVIT, CYME, EASYPOWER, CDEGS, SKM GROUND MAT
Education and Experience
- B.Sc. in Electrical Engineering with a minimum of 10 years of related experience
- Registered P.Eng with APEGA
- Demonstrate knowledge in the following standards:
- IEEE1584, IEEE-519, CSA’s Z32, Z462, CEC C22.1 and 22.2
- Additional knowledge of the API 500 series standards, CSA B72-M87, IEEE 61850, NFPA-70-E and NEC will be considered as an asset
Other experience considered as a strong asset:
- Experience on refurbishment and/or expansion projects
- Power System Studies:
- Harmonic studies
- Grounding studies
- Forensic investigation (electrical)
- Commissioning planning
- Hazard classification studies and design of intrinsically safe electrical systems
- Cost estimation
- Building Management Systems (BMS) or PLC
- Design based on 3D scanner and 3D BIM approaches
- Experience with distribution systems with voltage class ranging form 25kV to 72kV
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Back to top