The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
The primary role of the Design Architect is to interpret and translate the needs and desires of a client into a building. The Design Architect is responsible for conceptualizing, developing and documenting the design of a project. With the Interior Designer, the Design Architect is also responsible for the design of a project’s interior environment.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Lead others in project team setting
- Conceptualize a building design from both a functional and aesthetic perspectives in concert with a client’s requirements, budget and program
- Development of a design through sketches, physical models, electronic models, diagrams, massing studies, and other visual formats to express the design intent and communicate to project team, client, and building user groups.
- Utilize BIM technologies in development of three dimensional models of buildings and their components.
- Lead design critiques and pin-ups.
- Presenting the building design to stakeholders (client groups and project teams) during early project phases
- Develop space planning, block planning, and adjacency diagrams in coordination with building program.
- Interpret and apply building codes and requirements of regulatory agencies in development of the building design.
- Evaluate and select building systems and materials.
- Coordinate building systems (structural, mechanical, electrical, etc.) to ensure compatibility with the design intent.
- Implement sustainable design principles into the building design and surrounding environment.
- Analyze site incorporating geotechnical, hydrological, environmental, social and economic conditions.
- Responsible for projects of average complexity/size
- Develop building design in accordance with cost parameters
- Participate in development of the program and other pre-design efforts
- Ensure that design intent is maintained through documentation and construction
- Present the building design to stakeholders (client groups and project teams)
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Architectural license is required; ability to meet NCARB requirements for licensure in other states required
- LEED Green Associate Accreditation or LEED AP preferred
- Architectural experience in K-12/Higher Education, Commercial/Workplace, Sports and/or Healthcare facilities is preferred.
- Ability to hand sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to clients effectively
- Ability to apply accessibility codes, applicable building codes, and life-safety codes to the design of a wide variety of project scopes and complexity
- General knowledge of building construction systems, constructability, materials, and industry associated standards
- Experience with modeling/drafting software (Autodesk Revit, AutoCAD)
- Strong experience with design software (Sketch-up, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) required
- Ability to participate in a project team setting and lead the team
- Ability to lead one or more teams through the development of design concept.
- Ability to check work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage team to meet project budget and schedule
- Ability to interpret sketches, drawings, codes, building program and other similar material
- Ability to present abstract ideas to the client and client representatives
- Ability to engage in creative and critical thought
Education and Experience
- Degree in support of an Architectural license required (accredited Master's degree or 5-year Bachelor degree)
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.