Strong communities don’t just happen—they’re built. They’re creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We’re driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We’re a place where you can apply your passion—and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable.
The role of Civil Engineer is to work independently on smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a senior engineer/designer. You should be able to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer systems or products for a project. A Civil Engineer will perform a variety of tasks which may include calculations, and field work. The projects that a Civil Engineer may be assigned to may be broad, varied and diverse in scope. This role also analyzes proposed projects to ensure structural reliability, resource efficiency, and cost-effectiveness.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for projects of average complexity/size.
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all civil engineered systems or products for a project.
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes technologies in development of three dimensional models of civil systems and provides markups for junior engineers/designers.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various civil phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings and value analysis, and basic cost estimating.
- Assists senior engineers/designers with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing, and schedule.
- May lead the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Performs and oversees the performance of calculations using company standard software and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Utilizes advanced techniques for the analysis of specialized civil elements.
- Participates in constructability review.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the civil group.
- Works on multiple projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge and application of National Civil Code and applicable energy codes.
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of civil systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Ability to effectively discuss project issues with clients and reviewing agencies.
- Possesses excellent time-management skills
- Thorough understanding of task assignment and schedule, budgeting, and efficient use of time and resources.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Thorough understanding of civil engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Effective communicator and able to work on and lead teams.
- Presentation and interview skills are preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and relevant design software, which may include AutoCAD Civil3D, GIS, HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, StormCAD, WaterCAD, and PondPack.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Engineering. Licensed Professional Engineer. Minimum of 5-6 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.