Senior Technical Artist
- San Mateo, CA
Roblox’s platform now represents the next generation of entertainment. Roblox enables all ages to imagine, create, and play together in immersive experiences on their phones, desktops, consoles, and VR. Today, Roblox supports over 70 million active users each month and has powered over 900 million hours monthly. With millions of creators worldwide, Roblox is changing the way content is created, consumed, distributed and monetized.
Using a cloud based platform to host user-generated experiences, Roblox features physically-simulated, three-dimensional, destructible environments created by users for users. The user-generated content is hosted and published on Roblox’s platform which has enabled over 40 million games/experiences and a social network that connects 2M+ simultaneous users who are interacting in 3D immersive experiences.
The impact that you can have at Roblox is powerful. We’re looking for someone who’s eager to take on a meaningful role in the success of Roblox on a massive scale. Someone who takes play seriously, but also isn’t afraid to have some fun either. Someone who’s ready to take Roblox—and their career—to the next level.
Work with the most passionate, team-oriented, visionary, crazy-smart people you’ll ever meet.
As a Senior Technical Artist in the Rendering Team, you will help us imagine, design, prototype and implement ideas to give our content creators state of the art tools to make amazing, scalable content in original and efficient ways.
Many established rendering ideas and workflows do not trivially apply to our platform - novel solutions are needed as we push Roblox towards higher targets of visual fidelity. As we push our graphics forward, we need a Senior Technical Artist to provide feedback and ideas on how our tools can evolve, test new technologies and help the team quickly prototype techniques to decide if to turn them into features to add to our Roblox Studio and runtime. You will help us drive our future road map and priorities.
If you are experienced and passionate about improving tools and the production pipeline, love coming up with novel creative ideas to empower creators of all ages and you enjoy working in an exciting, fast-paced environment, you’ll enjoy the challenges here at Roblox.
- Prototype new rendering techniques and workflows.
- Create content to test and push the boundaries of existing technologies and novel ones our R&D engineers develop, providing feedback.
- Work with our community, incubators and our internal prototype teams to understand the present and future needs of our creator
- Author specs for improvements and pitch new engine features.
- Write tools and plugins to support the pipelines and artist workflow for both Studio and external software.
- Experienced: 5+ years in the game industry, computer graphics or related field, 3+ years of experience in a technical artist role. A good portfolio of successful and innovative projects in the field of computer graphics.
- Platform Aware: Aware of constraints imposed by real-time rendering, especially on low-power (mobile) devices.
- Visual Leader: Ability to create visual prototypes, using whatever tools appropriate, and clearly communicate the merits of certain directions on new or existent features.
- Knowledgeable: Strong understanding of the theory of real-time rendering (math, lighting, materials...), modern real-time 3D engines (Unity, Unreal...), art tools and pipelines (Maya, 3d Studio Max, Houdini...), VFX and procedural/generative graphics.
- Visual-focused: Passion for top-notch visuals with a focus on driving improvements in engines, tools, and pipelines
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving existing issues and driving new tools/functionality for our developers
- Driven: A desire to learn, explore and provide value in a fast-paced, fluid environment
- Team-oriented: Solid communication and collaboration skills with a passion for our creative community
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
Roblox – Powering Imagination
Back to top