This position is for a part-time staff officer / action officer on a senior-level staff, supporting the Office of the DASD(Force Education and Training) focusing on strategic-level matters related to all Services and/or Combatant Commanders. Coordinates work activities and writes and edits highly complex technical documents, including deliverables, manuals, reports, specifications and procedures. The position may also be assigned to work on staffing actions in other fields related to Training and Manpower strategic policy issues.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Apply extensive operational background and experience gained from military service and leadership roles, as well as operational proficiency in complex and advanced analytic theory and principles, during joint and combined operations at tactical, operational and strategic levels of warfare to solve current and/or future mission needs or to correct problem areas.
- Consult with all levels of customers and company management to determine most appropriate schedule of deliverables and objectives for large technical writing projects
- Serve as technical expert and may participate in working groups, program development forums, analytical activities, readiness exercises, training, education and other forums as required to accomplish contract requirements
- Establish and monitors standards for the quality of programs and documents. Assists in the resolution of project and program priorities. Assures quality control throughout all contract activities.
- Develop and provide final technical review of briefings, documents, papers, conceptual, and analytical reports for clients.
- Create, develop, plans, write and edit highly complex technical documents for publication.
- Edit documentation for style, clarity, consistency, and adherence to company guidelines.
- Primary interface with authors, other Technical Editor-Writers, word processing, graphics, and reproduction staff in the preparation and production of a variety of documents.
- Research highly complex technical concepts.
- Create new technical documents that are complex in nature.
- Conduct interviews with various technical staff to gather data for documentation.
- May lead large production efforts.
- Evaluate and provide feedback on draft documents and attends documentation reviews.
- Check classified documentation for proper security markings.
- Prepare the transmittal memorandums and coordinates the transmission of documentation to sponsors.
- Provide work leadership to less experienced Technical Editor-Writers.
- Perform additional duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in a related discipline plus 8 to 15 years of directly related experience.
In some cases, educational requirements may be adjusted or waived for more than 15 years applicable work experience. Work experience may be adjusted for highly specialized knowledge or uniquely applicable experience for positions involving new technology or labor market shortages as reflected by
market survey data.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelors' degree in engineering or a related scientific discipline plus 20 years directly relevant work experience or more than 20 years' experience as a military officer.
- Familiarity with the relationships between OSD, the Joint Staff, the Service Headquarters, and other high-level organizations.
- Experience on a 3-star, 4-star, or equivalent staff is a plus.
- The candidate must be a skilled used of Microsoft Office, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. The candidate must be able to write well.
- Experience writing directives, policy memos, and executive memos is important.
Security Clearance: Secret
Telework - Not Eligible
We are an EOE that values our employee's talent – regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion or other protected characteristics – Your Talent Is Our Strength .
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and Veterans are encouraged to apply. Alion will provide a reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans who need assistance to apply. Please visit the Alion Careers site for more information. U.S. Citizenship Required for the majority of our positions.
A new Federal Executive Order requires that employees of Federal contractors and subcontractors be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by December 8, 2021. Accordingly, as a condition of employment with Technical Solutions, a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries, employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or have an approved exemption prior to starting employment.