The Sr. Communications Engineer is a member of the Navy Continuous Training Environment's (NCTE) Instrumentation, Communications and EW (ICE) Engineering Team and provides direct support to the Communications Engineering Lead. The ICE Engineering Division provides fully integrated enhancement and sustainment engineering support for the Navy's Live, Virtual, and Constructive (LVC) training ranges. Specific duties include support of engineering tasking for all sites and components of the Navy's LVC Training environment. Those engineering support requirements include system development and deployment, integration of system modifications, range reconfigurations and new facility build-ups.
This position will provide engineering, installation, and troubleshooting support for voice radio and computer systems on a dedicated enterprise Navy network. As a member of the Team you will participate with a network of engineering and operations personnel supporting Navy at an enterprise level, for globally distributed RF and radio systems, server hardware, and desktop workstations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for design, development, deployment, testing, documentation, and support of RF radio communication and computer systems, and integrating solutions into a globally distributed enterprise network.
- Develop drawings and documentation on radio and computer system architectures and operations capabilities, including configuration and installation procedures, testing plans and results, and troubleshooting procedures.
- Install, configure, test, and troubleshoot RF radios, antennas, computer server hardware, touchscreen PCs, UPS/PDUs, KVMs, operating systems, and software applications.
- Configure and test new prototype RF and computer equipment, hardware, and applications.
- Research vendor equipment to support procurement of hardware, software, and other resources required for systems development and implementation
- Develop and support the implementation and execution of installation and transition plans, including physical installations and system configurations at local and remote (CONUS and OCONUS) sites and ships.
- Perform corrective and preventative maintenance on computers, networks, radios, and antenna systems including OS Application patches, firmware updates, hardware replacements, and antenna maintenance.
- Support the full life-cycle of communications and network engineering solutions for connectivity between and among shore sites and ships with voice communications over radio systems and IP network networks
- 5-7 or more years' of relevant experience with a Bachelor's degree in a related engineering field such as Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or Systems Engineering from an accredited college or university.
- In some cases, educational requirements may be adjusted for applicable work experience. Work experience may be adjusted for highly specialized knowledge or uniquely applicable experience.
- US Citizenship
- Active DOD Security Clearance or the ability to obtain one
- Valid State Issued Driver's License
- Experience with MS office products
- Must be willing to support periodic travel CONUS and OCONUS.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or Systems Engineering
- Knowledge and experience with LOS and SATCOM RF communications systems and cryptographic support systems
- Knowledge of IP network fundamentals including IP address, multicast, OSI model, and Ethernet packet structure.
- Ability to perform physical installation, corrective, and preventative maintenance of network, computer, radio, and antenna systems.
- Experience with configuring applications on Windows/Linux operating systems including patches, updates, and configuration files.
- Knowledge of RAID, Virtual Machines, and Hypervisors.
- Extensive Familiarity with:HBSS or similar Host-based Intrusion Prevention System
- Active Directory, Group Policy, User Account management, and general System Administration utilities
- Wireshark, tcpdump, or similar packet capture software
- NSA Type 1 cryptographic devices and Keymat.
- VoIP technologies and systems
- Possess ability to visualize overall systems architecture and conceptualize, propose and document technical solutions.
- Possess technical network troubleshooting skills with the ability to troubleshoot technical issues within multiple systems, RF environments, and IP networks.
- Security + CE or able to obtain within 90 days of employment
- One or more of the following OS Certification, or able to obtain within 90 days of employment:
- Microsoft MTA, MCSA, or MCSE
- CompTIA Linux+, or Red Hat RHCT
* Candidates with certifications from multiple categories highly preferred
Security Clearance: None
Telework - Not Eligible
We are an EOE that values our employee's talent – regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion or other protected characteristics – Your Talent Is Our Strength .
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and Veterans are encouraged to apply. Alion will provide a reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans who need assistance to apply. Please visit the Alion Careers site for more information. U.S. Citizenship Required for the majority of our positions.
A new Federal Executive Order requires that employees of Federal contractors and subcontractors be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by December 8, 2021. Accordingly, as a condition of employment with Technical Solutions, a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries, employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or have an approved exemption prior to starting employment.