The Network Engineer Functions as a senior technical expert engineer in systems development involving extremely complex computer network or electronic systems for assigned cyber programs.
Designs and plans network communications systems. Provides specifications and detailed schematics for network architecture. Conducts cost/benefit analysis and provides specific detailed information for hardware and software selection, implementation techniques and tools for the most efficient solution to meet business needs, including present and future capacity requirements. Conducts testing of network design. Responsible for monitoring network hardware operations to ensure properly set configuration options. Plans implementation of enhancements and upgrades to the network. Advises network users of hardware requirements, configurations, and limitations. Maintains technical expertise in all areas of network and computer hardware and software interconnection and interfacing, such as routers, multiplexers, firewalls, hubs, bridges, gateways, etc. Evaluates and reports on new communications technologies to enhance capabilities of the network. May be assigned responsibility for the management of the systems administration function, including associated staff.
Performance shall include:
- Provides direction on program development of software architectures and designs concepts, hardware development such as electronic circuits, electronic devices or equipment for purposes such as communications, computation, sensing, and control.
- Provides overall technical direction and guidance for performing requirements definition, development, modification, integration, validation, testing, redesign, when necessary, and special investigations associated with development and sustainment support activities for all assigned systems, to include performance analyses, modeling and simulation, hardware/software investigations and reliability or maintainability studies.
- Determines logical solutions to major problems and develops or initiates changes to system architecture and/or hardware and software designs to resolve said problems.
- Determines compatibility and interoperability issues of assigned systems and other related integrated systems and notifies appropriate managerial, engineering, and operational organizations of possible impacts to system mission effectiveness.
- Reviews systems documentation including plans, specifications, design data, procedures and other associated documents in support of assigned systems and for systems that interface with assigned systems. Develops comprehensive technical documentation for engineering forecasts, status reporting, and detailed planning of projects.
- 10 - 12 years related experience
- Bachelor's degree in a related area or equivalent experience (4 years)
- Must meet position and certification requirements outlined in DoD Directive 8570.01-M for Information Assurance Technician Level 2 within 6 months of the date of hire
- Current Top Secret Clearance with SCI Eligibility
- Counterintelligence polygraph
- Must be familiar with security policy/manuals and the appropriate DCIDs/JAFANs and other guiding policy documents
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment and effectively interact with numerous DOD, military/civilian personnel and industry partners
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Possess a high degree of originality, creativity, initiative requiring minimal supervision
Requires travel within the organizational geographic Area of Responsibility (AOR) (note - could be extensive, and will include both air and ground transportation)
In some cases, educational requirements may be adjusted or waived for applicable work experience. Work experience may be adjusted for highly specialized knowledge or uniquely applicable experience
Security Clearance: TS/SCI w/Poly
Telework - Not Eligible
We are an EOE that values our employee's talent – regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion or other protected characteristics – Your Talent Is Our Strength .
Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and Veterans are encouraged to apply. Alion will provide a reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans who need assistance to apply. Please visit the Alion Careers site for more information. U.S. Citizenship Required for the majority of our positions.
A new Federal Executive Order requires that employees of Federal contractors and subcontractors be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 by December 8, 2021. Accordingly, as a condition of employment with Technical Solutions, a division of Huntington Ingalls Industries, employees will be required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or have an approved exemption prior to starting employment.