Staff Data Scientist, Causal Inference
- San Francisco, CA
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. An economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
About the Team:
Airbnb is a global platform that connects travelers and hosts from over 81,000 cities. Our mission is to enable a world where anyone can belong anywhere. Using data to help ensure a world class experience for our users is critical to our mission.
We are looking for talented Data Scientists to join our Guest Store Data Science team. Working alongside other team members to dig deep into Airbnb's marketplace data, you will help translate complex findings and results into a compelling narrative about this highly strategic, fast-growing market. In this role, you will have tremendous upwards exposure as the Data Science team’s mouthpiece to senior business partners. If you’re passionate about leveraging data to drive business and product decisions, we want to hear from you.
Guest Store is responsible for the end to end guest experience on the Airbnb platform and directly develops the homepage, search, booking and pre-trip experience. You will join the inference data science team, with 4 other data scientists, responsible for measurement and data products.
You will work centrally, with other data scientists, partnering cross-functionally across the guest experience. Your initial focus areas in the team:
- Developing a framework of conversion drivers, connecting input metrics to outputs, to inform strategies, decision-making, and track progress on team goals.
- Operationalizing anomaly detection on top of users behavioral logs and metrics, partnering closely with data engineers and product engineers
- Providing technical mentorship to other data scientists, holding a high bar for data products architecture
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience
- Expert in at least one programming language for data analysis (Python or R)
- Experience with experimentation and machine learning techniques
- Experience in schema design and high-dimensional data modeling
- Proven ability to succeed in both collaborative and independent work environments
- Passion for high data quality and scaling data science work
- Strong skills in SQL and distributed system optimization (e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Presto)
- Experience with an ETL framework like Airflow
- Experience with causal inference and structural models
- Python skills preferred
- Experience with technical mentorship of other data scientists
- Experience with prototyping and writing production code
- $2,000 yearly employee travel coupon
- Competitive salary
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life & disability coverage
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top