It’s no secret that professional contacts are incredibly important when it comes to doing your job well and moving up the career ladder. But it goes without saying that making and maintaining a stellar network is easier said than done. How do you form a connection with another professional that seems genuine and authentic?
Well, we’ve scoured the web for great resources to check out when you have a new professional contact, so that you’ll never feel like you’re going at it alone.
- So, you’ve just met a stranger and think that person is awesome. Here’s a six-step guide to turning him or her into a connection in no time. (Fast Company)
- If you want to build a network, it doesn’t have to take months and years. It really can take only 15 minutes . (Forbes)
- To have a great professional contact, you need to be one, too. How do you do that? Become a networking “matchmaker” among your friends and colleagues . (Lifehacker)
- If being the matchmaker isn’t exactly your thing, be sure to look inward and consider what you bring to the table as a networking connection. (Inc.)
- One question you’ll want to ask yourself when forming a new contact: Do you think this person could be part of your core network , and how do you get him or her there? (Harvard Business Review)
- Another important rule when building a connection: Make sure you have all of that person’s contact info and notes on your relationship in one place. (99U)
- One other crucial aspect of any networking connection is understanding the foundation of this particular contact and why your network needs it. (Psychology Today)
- An easy way to start off a professional relationship the right way? Have a totally awesome coffee meeting . (Business Insider)
Want more help building a relationship with a new networking contact? Check out our suggestions!
- Making a Professional Introduction: An Email Template
- How to (Non-Awkwardly) Reach Out to Old Contacts
- Your 6-Step Plan for a Perfect Networking Call