8 Crucial Things to Know Before Starting Your First Job
As a recent grad, you’ve probably had at least a couple of experience working in a “real world” office. But the question is, what changes when you’re a full-time employee and not just a summer or semester-long intern?
Lucky for you, we scoured the web for the advice you need to know as you take your first steps into the big, bad workforce.
- College won’t teach you about these seven things you need to know about entering the workforce. (Mashable)
- Understanding that grammar counts is just one of the many pieces of unconventional career advice you should learn before you start your first job. (Forbes)
- Sheryl Sandberg has some great words of wisdom for recent grads just starting to look at the job market. First things first? Banish self-doubt. (Entrepreneur)
- Are you really all that prepared for the workforce? Studies show you may not be. (Slate)
- Soft skills? Yeah, those are really, really important when you’re starting off your career. (Fox Business)
- Forget what you need to do when starting out; here’s what not to do. (The New York Times)
- A lot of times new grads forget that there is in fact a transition period between college and the real world. (Quintessential Careers)
- Once you get settled in, there are nine things you should do during the first week of your job. (Business Insider)
Want more help navigating your first gig? Check out our suggestions!
- How to Make a Great Impression on Your First Day
- 10 Ways to Avoid the First Day Jitters
- The Step-by-Step Guide to Your Post-College Resume
Photo of woman walking courtesy of Shutterstock.
Lily is a writer, editor, and social media manager, as well as co-founder of The Prospect, the world’s largest student-run college access organization. In addition to her writing with The Muse, she also serves as an editor at HelloFlo and Her Campus. Recently, she was named one of Glamour’s Top 10 College Women for her work helping underserved youth get into college. You can follow Lily on Twitter.More from this Author