While many know Vanguard as one of the world's largest and most trusted fund firms, they may not know about the smart, experienced professionals behind this success story. Our Data Engineer is one of these talented professionals, providing expert level analytic data construction and model implementation technical leadership for the advanced analytics team.
As part of the Center for Analytics and Insights group, your expertise will be key to the success of deep dive analytic projects and have impact on marketing, client service and strategic decisions. As part of an elite team with strong knowledge in diagnostic, predictive and prescriptive analytics, we answer Vanguard's toughest, messiest questions.
- Partners with analytic modelers and data scientists to understand each business opportunity or problem. Develops a plan to acquire the data necessary to conduct the project.
- Data access. Develops working knowledge of the diverse set of databases, data stores and reservoirs containing client data. Masters the tools, programming languages and processes to access the data.
- Data expert. Develops subject matter expertise in available customer data. Provides advice and documentation on the use of data in analytics.
- Data wrangling. Develops queries and performs extensive programming to access, extract, transform, integrate and prepare data for statistical modeling.
- Data due diligence. Assesses data quality. Investigates data and corrects issues in analytic datasets.
- Data transformation to bring information value to the surface and suppress data 'noise'. Creates derived characteristics – feature engineering. Mines client level digital navigation to surface patterns, themes, needs and areas of customer struggle.
- Data automation. Identifies frequently requested analytic data and develops processes to automate provisioning.
- Model implementation. Implements model score calculation code and processes. Collaborates with IT teams on model implementation.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with policies and procedures, especially those for quality and information security. Verifies deliverables meet these requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in related field.
- Three years of experience focused on the use of data for business intelligence and analytics
- Data wrangling expertise – Programming skills to access, transform and prepare large scale data for statistical modeling
- Experience extracting and integrating data from enterprise databases and data warehouses. Experience mining unstructured data.
- Knowledge of Python, PySpark, SQL, SAS (Base, Macro)
- Experience with Hadoop, DB2 and Oracle preferred
- Excellent analysis and problem solving skills
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top