Established in 1744, Sotheby’s is the world’s premier destination for art and luxury. Synonymous with innovation, Sotheby’s promotes access, connoisseurship and preservation of fine art and rare objects through auctions, private sales and retail locations. Our trusted global marketplace is supported by a network of specialists spanning 40 countries and 50 categories, which include Contemporary Art, Modern and Impressionist Art, Old Masters, Chinese Works of Art, Jewelry, Watches, Wine and Spirits, and Interiors, among many others.
We are in the process of revolutionizing a 276 year old business, and we’re growing our technology team with exceptional back-end software engineers, and engineering managers who will help reshape the future of Sotheby’s through exceptional engineering practices, software development, and design.
The ideal Engineering Manager candidate will help us drive technical vision, product development, innovation, and optimization of complex problems to improve efficiency.
- Works to deliver the product vision for reshaping a 300-year old industry through building a compelling modern marketplace experience
- Builds and leads an engineering team of 5-7 highly skilled and experienced full-stack engineers positioned to drive Sotheby's contribution to servicing the circular economy, and drive adoption of marketplace experience to a completely new target demographic
- Builds, optimizes, and maintains internal and consumer-facing tools
- Leads a team focused on the design and build of elegant abstractions, shareable libraries, and robust APIs
- Partners with IC’s and managers across design, user research, and engineers to test and ship features continuously
- Actively looks for ways to improve the end-to-end experience for specialists across Sotheby's internal-facing product portfolio
- Works closely with product managers leading the roadmap(s) and stakeholders across the company
IDEAL EXPERIENCE & COMPETENCIES
- 6+ years of industry engineering experience in a product-driven environment, ideally 2+ in a people management position
- 3+ years focusing on full stack application development, technologies and platforms
- Excellent communication skills both internally and externally
- A team player that values opinions and empowers collaboration across functions and teams
- Proactive, eager to learn, highly adaptable and comfortable dealing with ambiguity and a fast paced, ever changing environment
- Intrinsically driven to innovate and to take initiative when seeing a process or a problem which could be improved upon
- Eager to learn new technologies and open to learning from others
- Must have proven experience writing, deploying, and running distributed systems
- Experience in API design and writing microservices with clear separation of concerns
- Must have proven experience using data structures and algorithms especially as pertain to web system design and distributed systems
- Must have experience with RDBMS such as Postgres or MySQL and writing migrations
- Working knowledge of GraphQL and GRPC a plus
- Working knowledge and experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Working knowledge of cloud platforms such as GCP or AWS
- Working knowledge of messaging queue systems
The proposed base salary for this position ranges from $200,000-$250,000. In addition to base salary successful candidates are eligible to receive a discretionary bonus, as well as a competitive benefits package. Salary offers are based on a wide range of factors including relevant skills, training, experience, education, and, where applicable, licensure or certifications obtained. Market and organizational factors are also considered.
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the US, please click here.
To view our Candidate Privacy Notice for the UK, Hong Kong, France and Switzerland, please click here.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race (including, without limitation, traits historically associated with race, such as natural hair, hair texture, and protective and treated or untreated hairstyles), color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or civil partnership/union status, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, genetic predisposition, genetic information, reproductive health decision, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, alienage or citizenship status, domestic violence victim status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province or local law. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws prohibiting discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it operates.