Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who We Are Looking For:
You’re ready to take the next step in your Data Engineering career - to a fast-moving, successful company building out their next-generation streaming analytics infrastructure! You love data consistency and integrity. You consider yourself scrappy and a technologist, passionate about data infrastructure... with your attention to detail and insistence on doing things correctly, you know you can make a big impact on a small team! You’re an excellent communicator and know that you grow faster from being able to mentor others.
What You Will Do:
- Build new systems to provide real-time streaming analytics and event processing pipeline based on fast data architecture
- Build enterprise grade data lake to support both business analytical needs and next generation data infrastructure
- Building data integration toolkit for backend services
- Support our data science team in deploying new algorithms for matchmaking, fraud and cheat detection
- Find better ways to move massive amounts of data from a variety of sources to formats consumable by reporting systems and people
- Improve monitoring and alarms that impact data integrity replication lag
- Support our product development team in creating new events to measure/track
- At least 1+ years of experience in Scala/Java or Python programming
- AWS data products (Data pipelines, Athena, Pinpoint, S3, etc)
- Experience deploying data infrastructure
- Experience with recognized industry patterns, methodologies, and techniques
- Familiarity with Agile engineering practices
- 1+ years of experience on Kubernetes, Helm chart
- 1+ years of experience with Spark, Scala and/or Akka
- 1+ years of experience with Spark Streaming, Storm, Flink, or other Stream Processing technologies
- 1+ years of experience working with Kafka or similar data pipeline backbone
- 1+ years of experience with Unix/Linux systems with scripting experience in Shell, Perl or Python
- 1+ years’ experience with NoSQL implementation (Elasticsearch, Cassandra, etc. a plus)
- At least 1 year of experience with Unix/Linux systems with scripting experience
- Familiarity with Alooma, Snowflakes
- Familiarity with Kinesis, Lambda
- Prior experience in gaming
- Prior experience in finance
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top