Controls Engineer - Senior
- Rocky Mount, NC
- Develops all aspects of control systems, equipment, and machinery.
- Develops and designs control systems; develops and implements bench tests; alters software and equipment to ensure that sensors and actuators are functioning according to specifications; supports and debugs complex problems and change requests.
- Prepares cost estimates; compiles required cost and equipment information, and writes and reviews appropriation requests.
- Investigates problems and requirements of projects, and develops plans for solutions in line with economic, personnel, and environmental considerations.
- May be responsible for the installation and technical support of Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) based hardware and software.
- Coaches and mentors less experienced Controls Engineers.
- Support the production operation by providing responses to major breakdowns to assist maintenance with related controls systems to minimize equipment downtime. Troubleshoot and perform all required electrical and controls systems on automated equipment.
- Support/Lead Controls related projects to ensure existing capabilities are maintained as required.
- Actively participate in the development of Skills Training Program for continuing skills improvement.
Action oriented - Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
Collaborates - Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Communicates effectively - Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Controls Engineering Knowledge - Applies the application of controls hardware and software by specifying, reviewing, and approving company-owned and/or supplier designs for new or upgrades to existing equipment to interface with all levels of manufacturing systems.
Controls Networking - Implements new and improved technologies and methods capable of transferring information from multiple inputs either within a local production process or into databases to link machines together or to analyze the process for overall operation enhancements.
Controls Safety - Recognizes controls related hazards in a manufacturing environment (Electrical, Hydraulic, Pneumatic) to incorporate safe practices and procedures as part of the daily work plan to reduce injuries and create a safe machine environment.
Electrical System Troubleshooting - Analyzes an electrical control system to resolve and repair electrical issues to return the system to proper operating conditions.
Factory Automation and Control Systems - Implements changes to further automate manufacturing processes using available technology, programming techniques, and identifying needed material and resources for project completion to provide the optimum automation for the manufacturing environment. Awareness of manufacturing systems like MES, EASE, Maximo and I4.0 applications.
Machine Programming - Creates factory floor machine programs by designing and implementing solutions to improve usage of machine and overall operation.
Health and Safety Fundamentals - Champions and models proactive health and safety behaviors by identifying, reporting and participating in actions to improve health and safety in order to build an interdependent culture and contribute to an injury-free workplace.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
College, university, or equivalent degree required.
This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.
Intermediate level of relevant work experience required.
- Minimum 5 years of applicable experience as a qualified controls support person in troubleshooting and repair of electrical systems, relay, PLC, and CNC controls for machine repair or machine building and maintenance.
- Demonstrated troubleshooting skills in solving problems with electrical, electronic systems, and PLC ladder logic.
- Proven experience in the use of electronic test equipment, oscilloscopes, megohmeters, multimeters, signal generators, logic probes, etc.
Back to top