Technical Support Specialist
- Philadelphia, PA
A best-in-class city that attracts best-in-class talent, Philadelphia is an incredible place to build a career. From our thriving arts scene and rich history to our culture of passion and grit, there are countless reasons to love living and working here. With a workforce of over 30,000 people, and more than 1,000 different job categories, the City of Philadelphia offers boundless opportunities to make an impact.
As an employer, the City of Philadelphia values inclusion, integrity, innovation, empowerment, and hard work above all else. We offer a vibrant work environment, comprehensive health care and benefits, and the experience you need to grow and excel. If you’re interested in working with a passionate team of people who care about the future of Philadelphia, start here.
The Office of Innovation and Technology (OIT) oversees most major technology projects for the City of Philadelphia (CoP), ensures continuity of the City's technology operations, and finds new ways to help the public interact meaningfully with technology. OIT uses technology to help City employees do their work better and helps residents get what they need from municipal government.
What We Offer:
Impact - The work you do here matters to millions.
Growth - Philadelphia is growing, why not grow with it?
Diversity & Inclusion - Find a career in a place where everyone belongs
Benefits - We care about your well being
The Office of Innovation & Technology (OIT) is the central IT agency for the City of Philadelphia headed by the Chief Information Officer. The End-User Services unit is responsible for the development, implementation, and maintenance of IT Service Management (ITSM) functions OIT. ITSM is the process-focused management of IT services to provide the best quality of service in a customer-centric, cost-justified, and efficient way. The position of Technical Support Specialist serves as the main point of contact between the IT Services and the users of these services to resolve and or diagnose as many problems as possible at this level.
- Receive incident and information request calls from the customers for IT services, and service that call either by resolving on point of contact, or passing the call to the most appropriate person for resolution.
- Monitor the progress of the call from inception to resolution.
- Keep customers informed of the progress of their queries.
- Escalate calls to the Service Desk Manager using predefined procedures where the resolution.
- Prioritise and escalate calls based on knowledge of the business impact of the reported problems.
- Resolve as many calls as possible at tier 1
- Assess and provide a clear definition of problems to pass to tier 2 & tier 3
- Keep abreast of new development in technology within the Division of Technology so that the customers can be assisted with problems resolution at point of contact
- Carry out first line incident resolution for any IT related problems that falls outside agreed targets
- Appreciate the basics of multiple technologies and services from different technologies and service providers.
- Demonstrate keyboard skills and a good understanding of PC software and operating systems e.g., MS Windows, MS Office, Mainframe, SQL.
- Apply classroom knowledge to working environment in order to provide basic & 1st level support to customers.
- Work independently and as a team member within established policies and procedures.
- Explain technical issues to non technical personnel.
- Work within standard documented procedures.
- Meet commitments.
- Respond promptly to customer needs.
- Solicit customer feedback to help improve services.
- Manages difficult or emotional customer situations.
- Demonstrate good communication, problem solving, and application support skills.
- Principles of quality assurance, performance monitoring and the ways in which a commitment to a customer focus can be practically demonstrated.
- Principles of equality and the ways in which they can be demonstrated in every aspect of the Unit’s work.
- Principles of ITIL Service Management.
- Budget and Procurement Business Processes a plus.
- Basic customer service skills.
- High School Diploma, GED, or other equivalent.
- Knowledge of PC hardware & A+certified
- Minimum 1 year experience in a Help Desk environment
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
The successful candidate must reside in the City of Philadelphia or establish primary residence in the City of Philadelphia within 6 months of employment
The City of Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not permit discrimination based on race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, source of income, familial status, genetic information or domestic or sexual violence victim status. If you believe you were discriminated against, call the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations at 215-686-4670
For more information, go to: Human Relations Website: http://www.phila.gov/humanrelations/Pages/default.aspx
Back to top