Lead Software Engineer
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Lead Software Engineer
At Capital One, the Android platform is recognized as an opportunity to reach our customers in unique, personal and engaging ways. Nothing is off limits as we explore exciting ways to take advantage of the full ecosystem of phones, tablets, Chromecast, Nexus Player, Android Wear, Google Glass and whatever future developments Google creates. Our engineers are provided with top of the line Macbook Pros, Thunderbolt monitors and the necessary tooling to developer the best possible products with the least amount of friction. We operate in small productive agile teams and use the best industry tools to collaborate across teams. If Jelly Bean and Kit Kat make you think of improved window buffer allocation and Host Card Emulation instead of tasty treats, then you need to come check us out!
- Develop Android client code solutions that deliver on Product Strategy and adheres to established engineering best practices, design guidelines and principles
- Partner with Software Engineers, UX/UI, Quality Engineers, Product Owners/Analysts to deliver high performing quality customer experiences that are engaging, purposeful and powerful in their simplicity
- Actively participate in all team agile ceremonies and contributing to ensure that all team commitments are delivered on time and of the highest quality
- Be an active advocate of the Android platform through both internal and external developer communities
- Working to remain an active learner in all technologies related to Android development (Java, Android SDK, AndroidWear, Android Studio, Gradle, 3rd party libraries, Google developments, etc)
- Influence and collaborate with other senior members of the team to establish platform direction
- Mentor all levels of the team
- Actively engage with developers outside of the local sprint team across various disciplines (Android, iOS, APIs, Web, etc.)
- Provide overarching leadership and direction for delivery of major components
- Establish and drive platform direction and best practices
- Ensure SME level knowledge of the platform, our internal frameworks and products
- Partner with Enterprise Architecture and other key platform stakeholders (Info Security, APIs, other LOB development) to advance best practices and ensure compliance across the platform
- Manage development associates, provide management leadership across teams as required based on career tract
- Be an advocate for Capital One in the public domain
- Proficiency with Android Studio Tooling
- Demonstrated investment in Android development knowledge growth through self-study, side projects and/or school/work experience
- Experience with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and higher
- Experience with DVCS (Git, Mercurial)
- Familiarity with Agile delivery practices
- Understanding of core Android constructs (Layouts, Widgets, Views, Services, Activities and Fragments)
- Understanding of Android unit testing frameworks (JUnit, Robolectric, etc.)
- At least 7 years professional coding experience
- At least 3 years of professional Android experience
- Maintains an active public coding presence through GitHub
- Has developed and supported their own app in one of the Android markets (Google Play, Amazon App Store, etc.)
- Contributed towards an open source project
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top