The QA Analyst has embedded QA experience that includes full ownership of quality across designated features, areas of QA or even a full release cycle. The QA Analyst will work with all disciplines within a project to ensure quality targets are met and measured against the values of the studio. The QA Analyst is required to be well organised and adept at planning. Working inside a studio, communication skills are extremely important, with the QA Analyst being the voice of QA for their area. Also has responsibility for turning specifications and requirements into comprehensive test plans that can be utilized by vendor QA. Works directly with developers, pushing a quality mindset into the product from day.
Reports to: QA Lead or QA Manager
• Execute functional tests in a grey box environment, develop understanding of game code and logic to push QA further into the development cycle.
• Actively own QA areas and ensure defects are entered. This will include taking on features that cannot be outsourced because they are technically or practically more challenging.
• Standard bearer for QA, representing discipline in planning, weekly meetings, daily scrums and other Agile or team planning practices.
• Solve complex problems in effective, efficient and resourceful ways. Ability to break problems down, can prioritize.
• Works with outsource QA team to achieve best possible results, includes creating documentation and mentoring where appropriate. Performance reviews work that comes back from the vendor for improvements.
• Assist with efforts to automate test runs and pinpoint areas of the game that could be open to automation e.g. analyse that if you automate test X, we will save Y amount of manual time.
• Adept at costing, time estimation, risk analysis, and root cause analysis for QA.
• Debugging issues in partnership with developers. Is able to sit within a team of coders and assist them in tracking down reproduction steps and/ or root cause.
• First class test cases which consider best practice, depth, organisation, quality and reporting.
• Maintain and update test strategies, regression plans, cross-feature plans, etc.
• Understand system dependencies and how they relate to test approach e.g. pair testing of content.
• Assists in the tracking of quality metrics to ensure that the release is on track. Efectively call out when we are in trouble.
• Must be able to communicate strongly with disciplines beyond QA. Is able to speak for QA with production, engineering, design and partner teams.
• Good understanding of JIRA. Must have the abilty to create dashboards, filters, and use JQL for searching.
• Experience working directly with developers in an Agile, embedded environment, attending scrums etc. Demonstrates consistent pro-activeness around project work.
• Willingness to learn from others and looks for areas to improve. Ability to work closely with outsource team and manage resources allocated to them.
• Contributes to improvements on a team level. Follows best practise regarding reports and test cases.
• Ability to effectively communicate and coordinate with all partners on any given feature or release from conception to release.
• Understanding of the SDLC and Change Management.
• Ability to carry out test case reviews and provide feedback to peers.
• Familiar with source control, such as GIT, SVN or perforce. This knowledge is required to generate changelogs etc.
• Good understanding of client/server testing and importance of metadata. Previous mobile experience. Testing of mobile events a big plus.
• Ability to crry out Telemetry testing.
• Has run or developed non-functional test plans like performance, network or compliance.
• Is able to use platform SDKs or testing tools e.g. Charles Proxy to take QA to the next level. Can recommend tools.
• ISTQB foundation qualified.
Meet Some of Zynga's Employees
Vice President, Games
With a long-term strategy in mind, Nicole works alongside an array of teams from various disciplines, guiding them as they create fun and exciting products to engage Zynga fans.
Back to top