Senior Software Engineer - Site Reliability
Who We Are
One third of the world’s food goes to waste. Which means all the water, energy, and greenhouse gases used to produce that food is wasted with it. This is a problem with a $990 billion price tag for the food industry and an even bigger one for the planet. But we believe the solution is simple.
What if we could eliminate waste by better balancing the supply and demand of food?
Zume uses predictive analytics and real-time food consumption data to predict customer demand, match it with production, and enable food companies to make smarter decisions across the food supply chain.
By connecting all the pieces of the food supply chain, we enable our partners to make better decisions for their business, their customers, and the planet we all call home.
We’re tackling some of the world’s biggest problems, and we need your help to solve them. If you want to take on something different in your career, we’d love to meet you.
Zume is looking for a stellar software engineer who deeply understands SaaS infrastructure. As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will be responsible for ensuring that our platform's services are designed, implemented, deployed and operated such that they are highly available, performant and scalable. To be successful in this role, it would be ideal to have a mix of software development and infrastructure operations skill so that you can approach operability of our infrastructure with a software engineering perspective.
- Architect backend services, Datastores, Pub/Sub services, API gateways, etc.
- Implement a robust monitoring and notification platform that includes all aspects of the services
- Create and maintain documentation on installations, procedures and requirements for all backend systems and processes
- Create cross functional on-call schedules and participate in on-call rotation
- Active participant in breaking down Zume’s existing service into scalable, reliable services and evangelize Service Oriented Architecture best practices across Zume
- Drive engineering practices to move from CI to CD
The core technology is Node.js, Express, Redis, Pizza, RabbitMQ, Postgres on Heroku. We also use distributed systems that communicate with our one of a kind Bake-On-The-Way food delivery platform, food prep robotics and several other SaaS providers.
- Experience in building highly scalable and reliable SaaS platforms
- Experience in Public Cloud infrastructure AWS / Azure / GCP
- Experience in distributed computing - Hadoop / Spark
- Experience in Kubernetes / Docker ecosystem
- Expert in Event Streaming / Reactive design using Message Queues - Kafka / RabbitMQ
- Expert in SQL & NoSQL data stores - MySQL / PostgreSQL, Cassandra /MongoDB
- Experience with Document stores like ElasticSearch
- Experience in Configuration management like Chef / Ansible / Salt
- Strong Linux / Unix System Administration skills
- 5-10 years experience as a professional software engineer
- Ability to code in one or more programming languages (Java / Go / Node.js)
- A strong sense of ownership and team responsibility
- Comfortable with a 24/7/365 always-up, always available production services
- Must be able to adjust to constant business change, including new requirements and emerging technologies
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent work experience
- Previous experience at a startup
- Knowledge of administering diverse micro services in a production environment
- Experience with API Gateway architectures
- Experience with HAProxy and other load balancing technologies
- Experience with delivery and logistics systems, particularly at scale
What We Offer
- 100% company-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision for you and 75% for your dependents
- Flexible Time Off
- Daily catered lunch
- Dog friendly office
- Free and discounted pizza!
- The opportunity to work with an incredibly supportive team of thinkers and innovators
Zume provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top