Senior Software Engineer - Backend
Who We Are
One third of the world’s food goes to waste. Which means all the water, energy, and greenhouse gases used to produce that food is wasted with it. This is a problem with a $990 billion price tag for the food industry and an even bigger one for the planet. But we believe the solution is simple.
What if we could eliminate waste by better balancing the supply and demand of food?
Zume uses predictive analytics and real-time food consumption data to predict customer demand, match it with production, and enable food companies to make smarter decisions across the food supply chain.
By connecting all the pieces of the food supply chain, we enable our partners to make better decisions for their business, their customers, and the planet we all call home.
We’re tackling some of the world’s biggest problems, and we need your help to solve them. If you want to take on something different in your career, we’d love to meet you.
Zume needs experienced technology leaders to help build, improve, and scale our products. You will own the delivery of major features that enable a complex logistics machine to run smoothly and flawlessly, to the delight of Zume’s customers. Shipping these features will require good communication with all stakeholders and solid judgement about how to architect code to both ship quickly and handle changes in the future.
- You will help lead production processes and environments
- Develop, scale, and maintain our distributed systems
- Participate in the pizza production process
- Drive the development of service APIs used by system endpoints to communicate
- Implement customer facing features and integrate them with the Zume Platform
- Develop interfaces with IRL "things" to deliver good food to our customers
- Participate in on-call rotation
The core technology is node.js, express, redis, pizza, rabbitmq, postgres on heroku. We also use distributed systems that communicate with our one of a kind Bake-On-The-Way food delivery platform, food prep robotics, and several other SaaS providers.
Ideal candidates will need to be able to understand and work with architectures and code across the whole stack.
- Experience building service oriented infrastructure and API driven systems
- Experience with PaaS production deployments, but not afraid to get down to nuts and bolts of bare metal operations
- Experience with delivering applications on the web, distributed systems, databases, and networks
- Passionate about designing and delivering flexible and scalable components
- 5-10 years experience as a professional software engineer
- A strong sense of ownership and team responsibility
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent work experience
- Familiarity with our current stack
- Previous experience at a start-up
- Experience with delivery and logistics systems, particularly at scale
What We Offer
- 100% company-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision for you and 75% for your dependents
- Flexible Time Off
- Dog friendly office
- Daily catered lunch
- Free and discounted pizza!
- The opportunity to work with an incredibly supportive team of thinkers and innovators
Zume provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top