The ride and fleet backend team is looking for a backend Software Engineer/Tech Lead to build out the backend services that are responsible for ensuring that we are efficiently dispatching missions to our robots and providing top-notch rider and vehicle operator experience across mobile apps, robots, and web apps.
Zoox robots take missions like Rideshare Trips, Charging, Cleaning, and support rider interactions like Authentication, Ingress, and Egress. It is the backbone of our autonomous fleet management system and the brains behind connecting our riders and vehicle operators to our robots.
- Design and build a scalable, efficient, and robust backend services for ride hailing, autonomous charging, cleaning, fleet monitoring and coordination purposes.
- Develop dispatch solutions for multi-agent coordination, resource allocation, planning, and optimization for a fleet of autonomous vehicles.
- Keep the system in a scalable, observable and fault tolerant way with high performance.
- Design and build clean and flexible APIs and data models for rider mobile apps, robots and fleet management tools and support the integration with these clients.
- Design and build the vehicle agent component that bridges the communication between vehicle components and backend service to make the communication efficient and robust.
- Collaborate with teams of world-class engineers from diverse backgrounds with expertise in distributed computing, rider experience, web and mobile applications, autonomous driving, mapping, AI, and software infrastructure.
- Contribute to products that impact humans and their experience in autonomous vehicle ride and work on solving problems that arise from real-life situations.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering, math, or related field
- Extensive experience with design and implementation of distributed backend services
- Extensive experience with programming and algorithm design
- Experience with Python, Java or C++, REST API, Protobuf, PostgreSQL, Kafka, Elasticsearch
- Experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
- Passion for learning new technologies, domains, and challenging the status quo
- Strong mathematics skills
- Masters degree in computer science or related degree
- Ability to lead through ambiguity and work with diverse stakeholders
- Ability to Iterate quickly and efficiently on building end-to-end experiences
- Experience with task-allocation or fleet optimization or operations research
- Experience with customer-face application experience
- Experience handling large data sets
- Experience building low-latency data streaming infrastructure
- Knowledge about microservice design patterns
- Familiarity with Kubernetes, Docker
Employees working in this position will be required to have received a single dose of the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine OR have completed the two-dose Pfizer or Moderna vaccine series.In addition, employees will be required to receive a COVID-19 booster vaccine by the earlier of (1) April 15 or (2) within two months of becoming eligible for the booster vaccine.
Employees will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal, and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.