Sr. Director, Engineering - Applications
Zoosk is a leading online dating company in San Francisco founded by two engineers in 2007. We have 38 million users in 80 countries exchanging millions of messages in 25 different languages every single day. Our products are deployed as both desktop and mobile single page web applications, as well as native apps on iOS and Android, and are supported by a robust and scalable set of APIs and services.
Zoosk’s headquarters are conveniently located in downtown San Francisco near the Powell Street BART station. We have a dog-friendly, open office with high ceilings, a kitchen with plenty of snacks, and a variety of perks.
We are an analytical, results oriented, and values-driven culture. The engineering organization enjoys a tradition of pursuing cutting-edge technologies, maintaining a high bar for excellence, and continually defying the status quo.
About the Role:
Zoosk seeks a strong, independent, and strategic Senior Director of Engineering for Client Applications, reporting to the SVP of Engineering. This senior leader will be chartered with inspiring a world-class computer science team to innovate, invent, implement and deploy complex software solutions in a commercial, mission critical environment.
- Works side by side with Product Management to create, drive and deliver innovative, compelling, and user-friendly products
- Actively develops and grows leadership talent through effective mentoring, coaching, succession planning, and retention strategies
- Partners with the business to define the vision and roadmap direction for functional areas and teams
More about the role:
- Uses agile software development methodologies to deliver high quality applications, features, and services on time with exceptional quality
- Takes responsibility for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects spanning Android, iOS, and Web development, middleware, and backend services
- Drives continuous process improvement and innovation, identifying ways to reduce friction and increase the velocity of the teams and the overall organization
- Continually fine tunes the balance and trade-offs between delivery and investment, iteration and innovation, and tactical and strategic initiatives
- Brings adoption of advancements in technology and software development best practices into the organization when appropriate
- Prioritizes well and communicate clearly with status updates to the wider team, partner groups, and senior company leaders
This describes you:
- You have a proven track record of delivering products on schedule with high quality
- You thrive when you are helping to make others around you better
- You're an active and passionate coach to both individual contributors and managers, and you also teach others to mentor
- You’re an expert at teaching others to be effective in conducting and giving feedback (e.g. in design reviews, code reviews, 1:1s, performance reviews, etc.)
- You’re able to manage design and architectural differences so that the most appropriate point of view succeeds rather than the most articulate or most passionate
- You naturally look outside of your own team, to the larger picture, when solving for company needs
- You show judgement about when to drive to an outcome rather than coaching to one
- You are resourceful and find creative solutions to achieving goals despite constraints
- You can make hiring decisions and are capable of driving the recruiting process to ensure effective interviews of candidates
- You're an experienced estimator, able to estimate to the appropriate degree of accuracy and articulate trade-offs and risks
- You develop strong collaborative relationships with partner groups by regularly seeking input and feedback
- You have successfully managed multiple engineering teams using agile methodologies
- You have in-depth technical knowledge and experience in at least one of web, mobile, and/or backend service development
- You have a passion for connected consumer applications
- You are highly analytical, detail oriented, and results oriented
- You have experience working in a startup, on small teams, and doing fast-paced development
Education and Experience Requirements:
- 10 years of engineering experience; at least 5+ years in a management role
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent degree or professional experience
- Masters in Engineering or Business preferred
Meet Some of Zoosk's Employees
Lead Engineer, UI Development
Sue Anna serves as a go-between between the Design and Engineering Teams. She takes designs from Zoosk’s creatives and translates them into streamlined presentation markups and elegant code.
Back to top