Statistical Retail Business Analyst / Data Analyst
Statistical Retail Business Analyst /Data Analyst
We at Zappos are obsessed with improving service for our customers. Our product selection and how we help customers discover it, is one of many areas we are looking to excel in. From a merchandising perspective this means we have to take our processes around assortment planning, forecasting, in-season merchandising, marketing and liquidation management to a new level. We need you to help us with this!
What you'll be doing:
As a Retail Business Analyst, you will develop and implement data driven decision making models that bolster our ability to achieve better results for our customers. Based on a thorough understanding of the business context, you will identify opportunities for applying these models and design processes and practices for successful application.
Specifically, you will:
- Identify areas of inefficiencies and opportunities to improve processes using advanced analytics and connect these opportunities to larger strategic initiatives.
- Lead development of solutions, including decision model conception, business process development, data architecture guidance, and solution prototyping, working with technology architects.
- Develop solution details, such as end state descriptions, use cases, process maps, specific data requirements, data sourcing plans etc., required to embed decision making models into comprehensive business solutions.
- Validate solution details with business users, technology architects, application designers.
- Advocate for solutions and initiatives with organizational leaders.
- Work with our Solution Adoption and Support Champions to create and maintain documentation to provide a comprehensive understanding of the solution.
- Create and gather data and analysis to measure the adoption of deployed solutions.
- Review and help evolve statistical forecasts and models of critical business phenomena, such as external demand, product sales, price elasticity, return patterns and other customer behaviors.
What you'll bring to the table:
The ideal candidate has a proven track record of applying quantitative models to significantly improve the outcomes of business processes. You never run out of questions, yet value progress over perfection. You are known to challenge the status quo by astutely identifying the strengths and weaknesses of a given process in context of the business strategy. You have great communication skills, as exemplified by the ability to explain in a concise fashion the context and rationale for process change, while being sensitive to how communication shapes perception. You’ve excelled at statistical analysis, math and logical problem solving. At heart, you are a business professional equipped with a deep toolbox of quantitative techniques to drive change at the enterprise level
- BS or Graduate degree in a Business or Econ field (or in a related quantitative field, such as mathematics, a hard science, machine learning, computer science, operations research, or engineering). Advanced degree preferred.
- MUST HAVE 3-5 years of relevant experience in a related function field (retail or ecommerce) in addition to education and not exclusive to education only.
- Exposure to, or previous experience in, orchestrating a major change in a business strategy or process
- Proven ability to develop and implement a process solution that significantly changes the outcomes of a particular business process.
- Experience applying analytic skills to a real-world project, from the early stages of solution ideation, model building, and process rollout and implementation.
- Experience validating or providing inputs to a statistical model for a business application, such as forecasting, demand analysis or customer segmentation.
- Ability to identify strengths and weaknesses of a given process in the context of a business strategy.
- Known to challenge the status quo and takes a positive, methodical approach to seeking improvements.
- Ability to explain complex problems, solutions, or the essence of a quantitative model to a layperson in a simple, understandable way.
- Comfortable with general project management principles and able to critique different approaches.
- Comfortable conducting in-depth research on process matters, without losing sight of the big picture and balancing the need to maintain forward momentum.
- Facilitation skills and the ability to steer a diverse group of people towards a common goal are a plus.
- Intermediate to advanced Excel and modelling skills; additional skills in programming languages and tools (R, SQL, etc.) are a plus.
What you didn't know about the team:
Our team reports into the Strategy Circle, which in turn reports to the COO. We are a cross functional group that works with stakeholders across the company to put the operational muscle behind key initiatives required to execute Zappos’s business strategy.
Wanna see who you'll be working with?
Meet Some of Zappos's Employees
Using advanced financial reporting systems, Kar collects, analyzes, and monitors Zappos' financial data. He presents the company's Management Team with reliable snapshots of performance to support business operations.
Back to top