Statistical Retail Business Analyst / Data Analyst
Statistical Retail Business Analyst /Data Analyst
A year ago, Zappos took a bold step – we went back to being a premium retailer who foremost competes on service and selection rather than on price. From a merchandising perspective this means we have to take our processes around assortment planning, forecasting, in-season merchandising, marketing and liquidation management to a new level. We need you to help us with this!
What you'll be doing:
As the Statistical Retail Business Analyst, you will develop and implement data driven decision making models that enhance the business’s ability to achieve strategic objectives. Based on a thorough understanding of the business context you will identify opportunities for applying enhanced business intelligence and think about processes and practices that have to be developed for successful implementation.
The ideal candidate has a proven track record of applying quantitative models to significantly change the outcomes of business processes for the better. You never run out of questions, yet value progress over perfection. You are known to challenge the status quo by astutely identifying the strengths and weaknesses of a given process in context of the business strategy. You have great communication skills, as exemplified by the ability to explain in a concise fashion the context and rationale for process change, while being sensitive to how communication shapes perception. You’ve excelled at statistical analysis, math and logical problem solving. At heart, you are a business professional equipped with a deep toolbox of quantitative techniques to drive change at the enterprise level, not a passionate statistician with a cursory interest in business.
What you'll bring to the table:
- Design data-driven algorithms and heuristics to improve decision making with respect to Zappos’ strategic business goal through use of techniques like machine learning, pattern recognition, statistical analysis, quantitative optimization, and mathematical programming
- Build and refine statistical forecasts and models of critical business phenomena, such as external demand, product sales, price elasticity, return patterns and other customer behaviors
- Develop solution details, such as end state descriptions, use cases, process maps, specific data requirements, data sourcing plans etc. to embed decision making models into comprehensive business solutions
- Advocate for solutions and initiatives with organizational leaders
- Work with our Solution Adoption and Support Champions to create and maintain documentation to provide a comprehensive understanding of the solution
- Create and gather data and analysis to measure the adoption of deployed solutions
Skills you'll have
- MUST HAVE 3-5 years of relevant experience in a related function field (merchandising, planning, inventory management) in addition to education and not exclusive to education only.
- Exposure to, or previous experience in, orchestrating a major change in business strategy or process.
- Demonstrated experience with statistical forecasting, pattern recognition, and time series analysis a must; proficiency with statistics languages including R, SAS, Python or Java is preferred.
- Experience applying analytic skills to a real-world project, from the early stages of solution ideation, algorithm design, and prototyping to tasks like input data cleanup, model building, and process rollout and implementation.
- Ability to explain complex problems, solutions, or the essence of a quantitative model to a layperson in a simple, understandable way.
- Experience with mathematical programming and optimization is a big plus.
- Comfortable with general project management principles and able to critique different approaches.
- Comfortable with conducting in depth research on process matters, without losing sight of the big picture and balancing the need to maintain forward momentum.
- Facilitation skills and the ability to steer a diverse group of people towards a common goal are a plus
What you didn't know about the team:
Our team reports into the Strategy Circle, which in turn reports to the COO. We are a cross functional group that works with stakeholders across the company to put the operational muscle behind key initiatives required to execute Zappos’s business strategy.
Meet Some of Zappos's Employees
Using advanced financial reporting systems, Kar collects, analyzes, and monitors Zappos' financial data. He presents the company's Management Team with reliable snapshots of performance to support business operations.
Back to top