Sr. Technical Project Manager - Zappos Seattle Team
As a Sr. Technical Project Manager, you will collaborate with business and technology teams across Amazon and Zappos to plan, execute, and finalize all aspects of a given project. The ideal candidate will be able to manage multiple projects and priorities in an ever-changing environment – both with our Las Vegas and Seattle teams. Oh, and you have to have fun doing it!
Considering the nature of what we do, our TPMs are heavy on the T (technical). We are looking for individuals who are not only passionate about creating organization from chaos and ambiguity but who are also addicted to the technical components that comprise a solution and how they interact with one another. We strive to bring as much to our project teams as possible and that includes a working understanding of the technologies that we use to innovate. In other words, let us know about your technical chops. We'll be asking :)
What you’ll be doing:
- Plan and facilitate meetings with relevant teams at Amazon & Zappos.
- Present documentation and ideas to project teams.
- Self-manage the following: Scope and change requests, schedule and deliverables, communication planning, risk and issue management, contingency planning, resource appropriation, prioritizing tasks with the team & conflicts.
- Follow appropriate Zappos project management processes (SDLC, SOX, PCI, etc).
- Develop deep business understanding and process knowledge in conjunction with projects managed.
- Develop a deep understanding of company goals and strategies.
- Help drive the plans for the successful outcome of company goals and strategies.
- Partner closely with CTO, COO & Sr. Leadership within Zappos.
- Mentor TPMs in all aspects of project management.
- Drive and shape Zappos project management methodologies.
- Natural ability to seek, form, and drive process improvements across technical and business teams.
- Team Leadership. (think: mentoring...not people managing).
- Full/part life cycle project management.
- Adapt project methodology based on project conditions and circumstances.
- Tailor documentation and communication to tech and business management.
- Develop and track project schedules and action items.
- Effective communication of project status, outstanding risks and issues, and key changes in scope or schedule.
- Identify risks and recommend mitigation approaches and identify issues while managing effective outcomes.
- Create and maintain project information (risks, issues, resources, schedules, tasks, budgets).
- Identify business and technical impacts of user requirements.
- Be ready to roll up your sleeves and get into the details.
- Not afraid to wear multiple hats.
- Manage more than one project of Lead TPM complexity.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Passionate about Customer Service—this is first on the list for a reason!
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, MIS, or engineering (more education is cool, for you over-achiever types).
- Comfortable writing& reviewing code alongside developers and TPM's within Zappos and Amazon. We will be testing you on this! ;)
- Ability to manage concurrent projects in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
- Excellent organizational, presentation, analytical, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong project estimation and resource management skills.
- Proficient use in tools of the trade (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project, Omni-Graffle, Visio).
What you didn’t know about the team:
Well, you’ll be working with all of Zappos Tech, so there are a TON of fun facts! The Seattle Team where this role “lives” is known for being a quirky bunch. Made up of 6 developers – they love team buildings that include being outdoors, craft beer, bbq’ing + lawn games and the occasional highly competitive sport of go-cart racing.
Please note this opportunity requires a MANDATORY training and on-boarding that will be located at our HQ in Las Vegas, NV for the first 5 weeks of employment.
Meet Some of Zappos's Employees
Using advanced financial reporting systems, Kar collects, analyzes, and monitors Zappos' financial data. He presents the company's Management Team with reliable snapshots of performance to support business operations.
Back to top