Site Reliability Engineer
What you'll be doing:
- Helping various teams automate various tedium with Python using industry standard best practices
- Refining current automatons, including tools used for infrastructure management.
- Design and build applications to improve the availability, latency, scalability, and performance of our systems.
- Build automations to respond to first level issues, striving to fix them automatically.
- Drafting new standards for the creation of tools and processes.
- Nursing our poor XMPP bot back to health and adding new features.
- Connecting existing 3rd party tools to other internal tools, making a big ol' web of data mining goodness.
- Eating good foods and sharing friendship.
- Playing a Nintendo game or two, or becoming a Tetris Grandmaster.
What you'll bring to the table:
- Python engineering experience, including building and running enterprise applications at scale.
- Linux expertise, from shell all the way down to the kernel, including internals and networking.
- Building and running containerized applications using Docker.
- A strong love of making things easier on yourself and others by automating the heck out of everything...From putting pants on to building an 18 story building (in Python!).
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment that is fun and borderline wacky. Maybe an excessive amount of wacky. Maybe not that much wacky. Definitely fast paced. Did I say wacky?
- Networking experience (working with switches, firewalls, routers, packet sniffers, load balancers).
- SAN/NAS experience (IBM SVC, V7000, XIV, DS Series, NetApp, FC, iSCSI, NFS).
- Any other automation experience (Selenium, JMeter, Powershell, ActiveState Perl/Python).
- Any other cross platform programming languages C, C++, Go, Java, Erlang, Haskell, COBOL (j/k... maybe).
- Experience in Python web frameworks.
- HTML and CSS experience (design, what-not).
- Shipyard experience. We like boats. Boat expertise optional.
- Proficiency with a certain manufacturer of foam dart gun. (You know the one we mean).
What you didn't know about the team:
- They are just as wacky and random as this job description.
Meet Some of Zappos's Employees
Using advanced financial reporting systems, Kar collects, analyzes, and monitors Zappos' financial data. He presents the company's Management Team with reliable snapshots of performance to support business operations.
Back to top