Zappos.com, Inc. is looking for a Controller!
We're looking for an experienced Controller who live and breathes the Zappos Core Values and inspires them in others. This role will lead and develop the Corporate Accounting, Inventory/Cost, Fin Ops, Internal Audit, and Payroll teams as well as be key leader to the Finance organization as a whole. This role is highly visible and requires solid communication, analytical, decision making, and process improvement skills. They will also be required to form strong relationships across Finance, Zappos, and Amazon, offering well regarded advice and leadership.
What you’ll be doing:
- Live the Zappos Core Values and WOW co-workers at all levels, in all circles, customers, and vendors.
- Will be Lead Link of Corporate Accounting and Compliance circle responsible for resource allocation and role holder placement to fulfill the purpose of the circle.
- Lead, develop, and inspire the Corporate Accounting, Inventory/Cost, Fin Ops, Internal Audit, and Payroll teams, and help lead Finance, overall, as part of the Senior Finance leadership.
- Build strong partnerships across the organization, as a trusted advisor and team member.
- Oversee the General Accounting and Financial Reporting functions. Responsible for maintaining a system of controls that will ensure that company assets are adequately safeguarded and that all financial reporting is prepared in compliance with all financial policies, SEC requirements, and US GAAP.
- Possess a passion to teach and mentor the teams in Accounting and Finance related issues including technical accounting GAAP guidance.
- Maintain expertise in US GAAP accounting and possesses a passion for seeking learning opportunities within the Amazon family of companies, retail industry, and in the profession as a whole including IFRS pronouncements.
- Understand our financial systems and be involved in validating/designing suggested changes to ensure accounting requirements continue to be met.
- Oversee the monthly, quarterly, and yearly accounting close - performing real time variance analysis, partnering with the FP&A team and ensuring that the books are accurate and complete, providing official flux analysis, etc. to various levels of management.
- Ensure that company financial records, under responsibility, are maintained in compliance with company policies and US GAAP.
- Responsible for reviewing monthly/quarterly account reconciliations and other documents to ensure this compliance.
- Drive financial performance by developing operating and financial metrics, efficiencies through automation, analyzing results and trends, providing variance and analysis driven insights and feedback; actively seek to enhance the quality of efforts across the organization, proactively resolve issues and implement change.
- Drive financial education, accountability, and operational excellence throughout the organization.
- Support the business by participating in or leading special projects or analysis.
- Provide direction for the design and maintenance of complex models/software/databases.
- Support parent company, Amazon, initiatives and deliverables. Coordinate and oversee the Sarbanes Oxley activities relative to internal controls documentation and testing and segregation of duties.
- Coordinate work relating to both internal and external audits in the periodic review of the company financial records. Is further responsible for the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from the audit findings.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- 8+ years overall with public accounting and corporate accounting experience; advancing to controller or assistant controller (Big 4 Accounting Experience Strongly Preferred)
- Possess a solid understanding of retail accounting. CPA required.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, and develop high-performing teams in flexible environment
- Demonstrates outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Can present difficult accounting models and concepts to all levels of employees, articulating and sharing ideas that establish credibility.
- Has strong business acumen, analytical, problem solving and quantitative analysis skills.
- Has proven record of automation and process improvement to eliminate non-value added manual tasks.
- Knows how to lead and be productive, while going with the flow, at the same time.
- Possesses high degree of executive maturity. Is a self-directed, self-starter, who is proactive, and can appropriately reorganize priorities calmly, positively, and confidently, with ninja-like skills, in a dynamic, fast paced, and changing environment.
- Proven ability to attract, develop and lead a high performance finance organization.
- Experience using business intelligence tools. SAP FI/CO/BI/BPC experience a plus.
- Microsoft excel guru; Advanced MS office skills; knowledge of SQL.
What you didn’t know about the team:
- Each year around Halloween the entire FP&A team puts on an incredibly terrifying haunted house for the Zappos employees
Meet Some of Zappos's Employees
Using advanced financial reporting systems, Kar collects, analyzes, and monitors Zappos' financial data. He presents the company's Management Team with reliable snapshots of performance to support business operations.
Back to top