Senior Data Scientist
- New York, NY
The ultimate source for official answers about a business online should be the business itself. However, when consumers ask questions on company websites, too often they are left in the dark with wrong answers. Yext (NYSE: YEXT), the Search Experience Cloud, solves this problem by organizing a business's facts so it can provide official answers to consumer questions — wherever people search. Starting with the company website, then extending across search engines and voice assistants, businesses around the world, like Taco Bell, Marriott, and Jaguar Land Rover—as well as organizations like the U.S. State Department—trust Yext to radically improve the search experience on their websites and across the entire search ecosystem.
As a Senior Data Scientist you will shape how data is collected, transformed, and leveraged to develop essential new capabilities and features for Yext’s products. We manage large amounts of structured master data on behalf of some of the world’s largest companies and collect transactional data through end-user-facing applications we host directly for these clients. Our mission revolves around deeply understanding user intent so we can deliver relevant and accurate answers to questions, everywhere people search.
Yext clients cover a tremendous breadth of industries. We are seeking data scientists excited to discover opportunities in data across a wide variety of business domains. You will work collaboratively with cross-team partners in software engineering, product management, and strategy. This approach will allow you to participate fully in the product development lifecycle and make pragmatic decisions about the design, training, and deployment of machine learning models driving key product features.
What You’ll Do
- Partner with product management and engineering teams throughout the product development lifecycle
- Solve "full stack" Data Science problems – Implement solutions to a data science problem in a production environment, coping with all the challenges (such as data cleanliness, performance, unexpected feedback loops, and concept drift) that arise
- Articulate Data Science and machine learning concepts to a variety of audiences (product managers, software engineers, executives, sales partners)
- Mentor junior team members, provide technical leadership and execution guidance
- Dive deep into the details when called for while demonstrating good judgement about when to simplify and prioritize
What You Have
- Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline, e.g., computer science, mathematics, business analytics, statistics, applied mathematics, economics, or operations research, or similar college level education
- Knowledge of neural network packages (TensorFlow, PyTorch) and state-of-the-art transformer/NLP models and techniques (e.g. FastText, BERT, et al.)
- 5+ years of work experience working in a Data Scientist Role
- Autodidactic, self-directed – You are able to dive into a new unfamiliar problem domain and start learning about it – You are comfortable with uncertainty and project evolution
- Effective communicator, a good writer, and know effective means of visually displaying quantitative information
- Experience leading cross-functional agile work streams and scaling data-driven initiatives
- Fluency with data analysis software and tools such as Python and SQL
- Exceptional multi-tasking, project management, and leadership skills
- Experience with JVM languages (Java, Scala) a plus. GoLang or C++ also great!
- Experience with AWS, Linux and Mac environments
- Excellent ability to cope with "glue" problems - shell scripting, debugging python environment problems, fixing broken packages
- Knowledge of Python or R, and the machine learning, data processing and visualization packages (e.g. Pandas, Numpy, scikit-learn, Matplotlib)
- Knowledge of SQL and databases like MySQL, Postgres, Presto and Hive.
- Knowledge of statistics and good experimental practices (e.g. how to run a powerful A/B test and test for significance)
- Knowledge of techniques in unsupervised machine learning and information retrieval and mining (e.g. DBSCAN, k-Means, indexes)
Yext is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, genetics, sex, pregnancy or childbirth, sexual orientation, gender (including gender identity or nonbinary or nonconformity and/or status as a trans individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, marital, parental and/or familial status, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Back to top