Director of Industrial Design
At YETI, you will have the opportunity to create something extraordinary. You will make a real impact because you are the type of person who thrives on cutting a sustainable path.
The Director, Industrial Design leads the growing ID team. This is a leadership role, both in the sense of setting the design direction as well as guiding and mentoring the design team. This key role works closely with Product Marketing and Engineering teams to develop new products and shape the future of the company.
You are a passionate design professional with a proven track record of crafting premium products and leading world-class teams. You thrive in fast-paced environments with entrepreneurial DNA, and are comfortable charting new territory. Your creative vision and design talent allow you to turn ideas into thoughtful products. You can leverage your passion for product and leadership experience to guide the design function and seamlessly collaborate with your partners within the organization.
A look at your day-to-day
- Reports to VP, NPD
- Be the expert voice of design at the company. Consistently and uncompromisingly create authentic YETI product experiences.
- Be a thought-leader to drive innovative new product concepts.
- Lead industrial design activities across all categories. Establish a consistent and thoughtful design language.
- Direct and guide prototyping needs and plans for design review.
- Collaborate with Engineering and prototyping resources to accomplish builds.
- Leadership and Management
- Proactively prioritize and manage department workload. Direct and influence the ID team.
- Ensure timely completion of team deliverables.
- Develop ID staff and department capabilities.
- Develop an environment that supports the creative process and truly puts the product first.
- Set the standard for the team by leading by example in the following areas: attitude, maturity, productivity, collaboration, and communication.
- Collaborate and influence NPD partners across Marketing, Engineering, R&D, and Executives
- Respectfully provide feedback and present viewpoint of product designs with stakeholders.
Now for a little bit about you….
- 10+ years of progressive experience in Product Design
- MA in Industrial Design, Product Design or equivalent work experience
- Must have experience leading and developing design staff
- Experience in designing premium products, preferably within the Outdoor industry
- Demonstrated experience working across both soft and hard goods
- Proven track record of designing world-class and market successful products
- Demonstrated experience collaborating cross-functionally
- Experience with designing and facilitating cross functional exercises / workshops (e.g., ideation sessions, design sessions)
- Advanced 3D visualization skills via SolidWorks, Rhino, KeyShot, etc.
- Inspiring 2D skills via sketching, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.
Perks At YETI? We’ve got ya covered…
- YETI Swag Package
- Employee discounts on YETI products
- Friends and Family discounts on YETI products too!
- Lunch with our cool Ambassadors from the outdoor industry – get a chance to meet & break bread with your favorite fishing guides, BBQ pit masters and hunting pro’s
- 401K match
- 3 weeks PTO
- Loyalty Leave: 1 extra day of PTO with each year of service (up to 20 days PTO after 5 years)
- Day of Service – 1 day per year to do community volunteer work
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Employee Development Opportunities
- Fully stocked kitchens
- Casual work environment – what else would you expect for a cooler company?
- Standing desk options
- Discounts with outdoor vendors / clients (such as Patagonia, Kuhl, Costa, etc)
Who we are & what we stand for:
We set out to build a cooler without compromise -- one that would stand up to all the abuse we could throw at it. Turns out we weren’t alone in our frustration with cheap gear. Ten years and a few more compromise-free products later, and we’re one of the fastest growing brands in the outdoor industry. We are in a rare sweet spot where we get to build and shape this young brand and organization every day, but now have the resources to do really big things.
We are probably bigger (in sales, staff, resources) than you think we are, but still small enough for you to meaningfully help build and shape this growing brand. We’re headquartered in Austin, Texas, which is one of America’s fastest growing cities for a reason: it’s a pretty great place to live.
Fit with YETI’s Core Values
- Be authentic and innovative with our brand and products
- Continually strive for improvement
- Prioritize activities that have the biggest impact
- Be responsive and go the extra mile
- Act with a sense of urgency
- No one succeeds alone
Interested to see what our office is like? Check us out on The Muse!
YETI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Meet Some of YETI Coolers's Employees
Director of Project Engineering
Justin leads a team of project engineers to act as the key interface between the core Product Development Teams, enabling collaboration and overseeing projects from start to timely completion.
Back to top