At YETI, you will have the opportunity to create something extraordinary. You will make a real impact because you are the type of person who thrives on cutting a sustainable path.
You are a highly motivated self-starting design engineer with a proven track record of bringing consumer products to market. You thrive in fast-paced environments with entrepreneurial DNA and are comfortable charting new territory. Your strong organizational skills allow you to stay on top of multiple projects at the same time. Your product design engineering chops allow you to research, create, review, support, and manage. You can trouble-shoot and problem-solve every different kind of product, manufacturing, or material challenge thrown your way. In fact, you love solving problems – the bigger the challenge, the more satisfying the resolution.
A look at your day-to-day
The Design Engineer will work as a core member of the NPD team acting as the bridge from product ideation to mass production, designing with manufacturing in mind while also pushing the envelope of what is currently possible.
- Reports to Director of Engineering
- Full responsibility for managing multiple design projects from ideation through production tooling release within a fast-paced development environment
- Manage projects according to key project indicators – schedule, budget, and quality
- Transform product ideas and concepts into reality while following new product development process
- Identify critical product characteristics and ensure integration into product designs
- Review competitive market to benchmark performance and evaluate market opportunities
- Establish product manufacturing production specifications and first quality product metrics
- Evaluate product component changes and support supply chain team with ongoing projects
- Support the qualification and tracking of tools, molds and fixtures
- Cross-functional teamwork and communication with internal and external contacts to drive progress of projects to plan
- Collaborate with marketing, design, and engineering teams to identify challenges and offer solutions
- Support the design of plastic injection tools
- Support the selection of component and final product manufacturers, including overseeing first through final article verification and quality plans
- Regular communications supporting successful partnerships and manage project expectations and collaborative designs
Now for a little bit about you….
- 7+ years of Design Engineering experience
- B.S. or higher in Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Plastics Engineering, or equivalent work experience
- Domestic and international travel is required (up to 15%)
- Proficient in 2D, 3D CAD software (Solidworks preferred)
- Design for manufacturability experience
- Experience and knowledge of various materials and manufacturing processes, including plastics manufacturing (rotational and injection molding a must)
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to learn new concepts quickly
- FEA analysis experience, tooling design and manufacturing experience
- Lean Manufacturing or Six Sigma training and/or experience
Perks At YETI? We’ve got ya covered…
- YETI Swag Package
- Employee discounts on YETI products
- Friends and Family discounts on YETI products too!
- Lunch with our cool Ambassadors from the outdoor industry – get a chance to meet & break bread with your favorite fishing guides, BBQ pit masters and hunting pro’s
- 401K match
- 3 weeks PTO
- Loyalty Leave: 1 extra day of PTO with each year of service (up to 20 days PTO after 5 years)
- Day of Service – 1 day per year to do community volunteer work
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Employee Development Opportunities
- Fully stocked kitchens
- Casual work environment – what else would you expect for a cooler company?
- Standing desk options
- Discounts with outdoor vendors / clients (such as Patagonia, Kuhl, Costa, etc)
Who we are & what we stand for:
We set out to build a cooler without compromise -- one that would stand up to all the abuse we could throw at it. Turns out we weren’t alone in our frustration with cheap gear. Ten years and a few more compromise-free products later, and we’re one of the fastest growing brands in the outdoor industry. We are in a rare sweet spot where we get to build and shape this young brand and organization every day, but now have the resources to do really big things.
We are probably bigger (in sales, staff, resources) than you think we are, but still small enough for you to meaningfully help build and shape this growing brand. We’re headquartered in Austin, Texas, which is one of America’s fastest growing cities for a reason: it’s a pretty great place to live.
Fit with YETI’s Core Values
- Be authentic and innovative with our brand and products
- Continually strive for improvement
- Prioritize activities that have the biggest impact
- Be responsive and go the extra mile
- Act with a sense of urgency
- No one succeeds alone
YETI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top