Teacher – Behavior Support - Brays Oaks (IMMEDIATE OPENING)
JOB TITLE: Teacher – Behavior Support – Brays Oaks (IMMEDIATE OPENING)
REPORTS TO: Dean of Students
JOB GOAL: The Recommitment Room Teacher will be responsible for managing operations, academics, and social/emotional programming for students referred to an alternate setting due to behavioral needs. This includes students who are recommended to the room for long term placements as well as other students who receive In School Suspension. The Recommitment Room Teacher will develop a schedule for the program, create operating procedures, coordinate instruction from classroom teachers, and develop non-instructional support structures for each student. The Recommitment Room Teacher will develop goals and exit plans for each student placed in this setting, and will coordinate supports with the Behavior Support Teacher, Student Support Counselor, classroom teachers, and parents.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Support the campus’ goals, objectives, and operational procedures;
- Plan and implement instructional services that meet individual student needs while maintaining high levels of behavioral and academic expectations;
- Design and implement campus-based in School Suspension with an emphasis on restorative intervention.
- Develop structures and operating procedures for the Recommitment Room;
- Manage day to day operations of the recommitment room, including classroom instruction and social and emotional support.;
- Create goals, entry plans, and exit plans for each student referred to the room;
- Coordinate support with all parties, including Behavior Support Teacher, Student Support Counselors, classroom teachers, Deans of Students, Grade Level Chairs, and parents;
- Assist campus staff with administration of local and state assessments;
- Maintain accurate, complete, and correct records as required by federal, state, and YES Procedures;
- Facilitate after-school detention on a rotating basis;
- Encourage and assist students in maintaining appropriate standards of classroom social skills and behaviors;
- Attend YES Prep staff meetings as required;
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- Valid Texas Teachers Certification or Master’s in Social Work
- 2 years as a classroom teacher or school counselor
Skills and Mindsets:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once;
- Detail-oriented and self-directed;
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year:
10-month position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES Prep offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
- The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Meet Some of YES Prep's Employees
High School Dean of Students
Oscar is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the unique culture, discipline goals, and overall vision of the YES Prep Brays Oaks campus.
Back to top