Student Support Counselor Intern (Masters Level) - East End (IMMEDIATE OPENING)
JOB TITLE: Student Support Counselor Intern (Masters Level) – East End
REPORTS TO: Student Initiatives Coordinator
YES Prep Public Schools is looking for intelligent, motivated, and hardworking graduate students in their first field placement to learn about the work of a YES Prep Student Support Counselor (social work). This is an opportunity for a graduate student to attain deeper insight into the role of a social worker in a school setting where we promote and support all students’ academic, emotional, and social potential through group and individual interactions. The Student Support Counselor Intern will act as a resource for teachers, administrators, parents and students.
This is an unpaid internship and requires receipt of college credit for participation.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Works with Student Support Counseling Team and Student Initiatives Coordinator;
- Practices actively engaging all students and builds positive relationship with appropriate boundaries;
- Practices identifying, reporting and developing evidence based interventions for targeted students;
- Engages in consultation and collaboration with campus and system staff, parents/guardians, and community partners in a multi-disciplinary approach to identify and reduce barriers to student achievement and persistence;
- Seeks out community resources to establish partnerships that can provide access and services to students, parents and staff;
- Uses knowledge of community resources and partnerships to make appropriate referrals for students and families;
- Maintains accurate records while ensuring adequate safeguards for the privacy and confidentiality of information and records;
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Currently enrolled in accredited graduate program pursing master’s degree in social work
- Currently enrolled in field placement course within a graduate program
Skills and Mindsets:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once;
- Detail-oriented and self-directed;
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year:
This position will last from January through June 2017 and will work approximately 2 days a week for a total of about 16-20 hours per week; occasional evening and weekend opportunities also available
Compensation and Benefits:
This is an unpaid internship and requires receipt of college credit for participation. This position is not eligible for benefits with YES Prep Public Schools.
- The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual preference, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
or veteran status.
Back to top