Specialist- Behavior Support - Southside (IMMEDIATE OPENING)
JOB TITLE: Behavior Support Specialist- Southside (IMMEDIATE OPENING)
REPORTS TO: Dean of Students
JOB GOAL: The Behavioral Support Specialist will be responsible for designing and implementing appropriate behavioral supports for students with autism, emotional disturbances and behavioral challenges on a YES Prep campus. The Behavioral Support Specialist will provide direct services and collaborate with campus Special Education Teachers and General Education Teachers to ensure positive behavioral supports are designed and implemented.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Plan and implement instructional services that meet individual student needs while maintaining high levels of behavioral and academic expectations;
- Participate in the development of Behavior Support Plans and Individualized Educational Plans;
- Provide direct behavioral support to students by encouraging and assisting students in maintaining appropriate standards of classroom social skills and behavior.
- Serve as 504 Coordinator by conducting initial and annual meetings, planning accommodations, and ensuring service delivery for students that receive Section 504 services for emotional/behavioral eligibilities (i.e. ADHD, Autism, etc.);
- Assess and monitor student progress as identified in the student’s Behavior Support Plan and Individualized Education Plan.
- Observe, collect data and analyze student behavior to address student needs and to collaborate with home office Student Support Team;
- Conduct Functional Behavioral Assessments to drive intervention planning and implementation;
- Document and report student progress towards Individualized Educational goals and behavioral objectives.
- Provide staff development training on best practices for working with students with autism and positive behavioral supports;
- Design and implement campus-based In School Suspension with an emphasis on restorative intervention;
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- Texas Certification in Special Education (Generic)
- At least three years of teaching experience, preferred;
- Outstanding record of instruction and student achievement, preferred;
- Experience working with students with autism and with significant behavioral challenges
- Experience in ARD/IEP meeting proceedings and paperwork
- Knowledge of current best practice methods and techniques for working with students with Autism and behavioral challenges
Skills and Mindsets
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional
- Belief that every student can and will achieve
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Strong written communication skills
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Detail-oriented and self-directed
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year:
10-month position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues. This part-time position also will be eligible for medical benefits with YES Prep and will not be eligible for any other YES Prep benefit offerings.
- The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Back to top