Senior Director of Software Development (IMMEDIATE OPENING)
Senior Director of Software Development (IMMEDIATE OPENING)
Vice President of Analytics and Technology
The Senior Director of Software Development will hire, mentor, and lead a core set of software developers to develop, integrate and maintain a variety of applications to support YES Prep’s continued excellence in instructional outcomes. The Senior Director of Software Development will work with YES Prep’s leadership to strategically provide applications that fill gaps in automation not well covered by commercial tools. The position will be responsible for our software practices and for continuously improving our software capability. The position combines technical leadership in process and architecture with the continued passion for application programming.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Recruit and evaluate new personnel as required to meet future project requirements.
- Work with school and administrative leadership to identify and architect solutions that strategically meet requirements.
- Responsible for the software development best practices in the team and for continually improving those practices.
- Lead and manage agile processes and support development tooling to achieve maximum benefit and impact for the organization.
- Engage with development team to discuss and review key technical decisions.
- Participate in programming activities, particularly in areas requiring higher degrees of skill or architectural patterns.
- Evaluate tools and applications that could be used to accelerate or leverage development efforts.
- Identify and communicate risks and obstacles to project completion, and for garnering the attention and resources necessary to address any risks.
- Leading the team through ambiguity and providing clear direction.
- Ensure that projects/products are delivered at high quality, on time, and on budget
- Partner with Information Services senior leadership (Information Technology, Data Analytics and Assessment, and Portfolio and Learning Tech) to ensure alignment between development efforts and the appropriate teams’ strategic priorities.
- Maintain key relationships with Ed Tech software development thought leaders, appropriate industry organizations, and other influencers. Leverage those relationships to stay abreast of the ever changing EdTech landscape.
- Serve as member of the Information Services leadership team.
- Regularly assess and improve systems to reflect best practices, and proactively communicate improvements to relevant stakeholders.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Handbook expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Employee Handbook.
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics.
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents.
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times.
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction.
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution, preferably in computer science, software engineering, or mathematics
- 7-10 years’ hands-on experience in software development
- 3-5 years in software development leadership positions either as technical lead, software architect, or software development manager
- 5+ years working with Microsoft technologies (C#, ASP.NET, SSIS, Microsoft SQL Server)
- Experience and knowledge with various Agile project management principles, including Scrum, Kanban, test-driven development, stories, estimation techniques and Lean Software Development.
- Experience with continuous integration, automated build systems, test-driven development, and building deployment pipelines.
- Proven track record of providing the most efficient, effective, performant, and high quality software development solutions.
- Desired experience with providing cloud-based application solutions; Azure experience is a plus.
Skills and Mindsets:
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic and an attraction to a fast-paced work environment
- Passionate about technology, staying current with latest trends and development techniques both inside and outside of the Microsoft stack
- Ability to identify new techniques and technology, correctly evaluate technology and team impact, and apply them to satisfy the evolving needs of the organization or its clients
- Ability to mentor the product development organization into a seamless team with common goals and vision while focusing on the satisfaction of the employees
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional
- Belief that every student can and will achieve
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Strong written communication skills
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Detail-oriented and self-directed
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to make effective decisions in ambiguous situations
- Introductory-level knowledge of statistics or greater
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year:
Year-round position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES Prep offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
- The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Meet Some of YES Prep's Employees
High School Dean of Students
Oscar is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the unique culture, discipline goals, and overall vision of the YES Prep Brays Oaks campus.
Back to top