Licensed Specialist in School Psychology (2017-2018)
JOB TITLE: Licensed Specialist in School Psychology (2017-2018)
REPORTS TO: Director of Student Assessment/Director of Special Education
JOB GOAL: The Licensed Specialist in School Psychology (LSSP) serves as the lead behavioral liaison for the Special Education and Assessment teams to ensure that students’ emotional and behavioral needs are being met. The LSSP will collect data, draft and assist with the implementation of behavior plans and assist campuses in building capacity to meet the needs of students with behavioral challenges. The LSSP will conduct psychological evaluations for students suspected of or having an emotional and/or behavioral disorders in a manner meeting Texas Education Agency guidelines.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Administer psychological tests and conduct clinical interviews with students;
- Review information on students such as psycho-ed testing, state folder, discipline and attendance records;
- Score and interpret test data and incorporate psycho-ed data;
- Conduct behavioral observations and Functional Behavioral Assessments;
- Schedule and conduct interviews with parents and school personnel;
- Utilize appropriate scoring program analysis and comprehensively interpret results;
- Prepare and maintain a computer generated Psychological Evaluation Report for each student evaluated;
- Participate in Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) meetings with other professionals for students evaluated;
- Participate in Central Multi-Disciplinary Team (CMDT) meetings with other professionals and consult as needed;
- Participate as a member of eligibility Admission Review Dismissal/Individual Education Plan (ARD/IEP) Committee for students evaluated;
- Recommend appropriate disability condition(s) for ARD/IEP Committee considerations;
- Review outside psychological and neuropsychological evaluations provided by other districts, agencies or by the parent;
- Conduct Counseling as a Related Service assessments and provide CRS as needed;
- Maintain a computerized database of student evaluation per school as required;
- Provide consultation regarding behavioral management/structured intervention strategies for professional staff and/or parent;
- Conduct in-services for school personnel on emotional/behavioral markers, classroom modifications/accommodations and structured intervention strategies;
- Provide direct support/consultation for campus based Student Support Counselors and Learning Lab Specialists;
- Support campuses in critical cases involving students with severe emotional or behavioral needs.
- Assist in the development of Behavior Intervention Plans and Crisis plans for students with significant behavioral or emotional struggles;
- Implement preventative behavioral programming;
- Conduct Manifestation Determination Reviews (MDRs) for the district;
- Provide on-going professional development to the Assessment/SPED Team regarding best practices for behavior;
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Handbook expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Handbook;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in student assessment, psychology or in another related field.
- Licensed Specialist in School Psychology certificate.
- Three to five years of related work experience in education and/or working with students with behavioral challenges
- Working knowledge of personal computers and applicable software
Skills and Mindsets:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once;
- Detail-oriented and self-directed;
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year:
10-month position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required.
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
- The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Meet Some of YES Prep's Employees
High School Dean of Students
Oscar is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the unique culture, discipline goals, and overall vision of the YES Prep Brays Oaks campus.
Back to top