Internship – New to Blue Operations (2016-2017 School Year)
JOB TITLE: Internship – New to Blue Operations (2016-2017 School Year)
REPORTS TO: Professional Learning Specialist – New to Blue
JOB GOAL: The New to Blue Operations Intern will provide operational support to the New to Blue Professional Learning Specialist who creates clear and engaging systems for monthly learning opportunities and ensures logistics for guest facilitators and presenters are smooth and well-organized. This is an ideal opportunity for an undergraduate with a passion for education reform and interest in operations to experience the culture of a high-performing charter school system.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Shadow and assist in the planning of monthly Professional Learning events which fall on Saturdays;
- Assist in Professional Learning Saturday preparation and setup, including printing materials, gathering supplies, and attending events to provide on-site support;
- Track and record the expenses of the New to Blue program in order to inform decisions around future spending;
- Prepare communication to New to Blue teachers and their administrators for review and delivery by Professional Learning Specialist;
- Manage the Professional Learning Saturday attendance trackers database;
- Prepare monthly mileage reimbursement requests for Professional Learning Specialist;
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in meetings, check-ins, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ and New to Blue’s mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Enrollment in a bachelor’s degree program with a 4-year college/university
- Outstanding record of organizational skills and attention to detail in previous professional, volunteer, or campus-based activities or jobs.
Skills and Mindsets:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Strong service-orientation
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once;
- Detail-oriented and self-directed;
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Some light manual labor
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year:
This is a part-time, non-exempt hourly position working through April 2017; the intern would work up to 25 hours per month; evening commitments may, and weekend commitments will be applicable.
This position is based in the YES Prep Home Office in Houston, TX and will require occasional travel within the Houston area when supporting New to Blue Professional Learning events.
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation will be $12 per hour. This position will not be eligible for benefits through YES Prep
- The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Back to top