Instructional Coach - Teaching Excellence (2017-2018)
JOB TITLE: Instructional Coach – Teaching Excellence
REPORTS TO: Manager- Instructional Coaching
JOB GOAL: The Instructional Coach supports novice teachers at YES Prep and partnership districts (i.e. KIPP Houston, Spring Branch ISD, and Neighborhood Centers Inc.) who participate in YES Prep’s Teaching Excellence Program, a teacher development program that also offers a certification pathway. The focus of this support is in developing and honing skills in Classroom Culture and Management and Instructional Planning and Delivery. The Instructional Coach’s responsibilities are significant as they play a pivotal role in guiding beginning teachers toward success with their students. In addition to supporting a cohort of 15-18 teachers, the Instructional Coach also facilitates professional learning sessions to novice teachers.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Regularly observe classroom instruction of novice teachers and provide developmentally appropriate coaching via written and oral feedback (as identified by the Instructional Excellence Rubric/ Teaching Excellence Rubric);
- Assist novice teachers in collecting and analyzing student performance data to drive instructional decisions;
- Differentiate support for novice teachers based upon their needs;
- Provide lesson planning support to novice teachers;
- Arrange opportunities for novice teachers to co-observe master teachers;
- Plan and deliver focus lessons in novice teachers’ classrooms to model effective practices;
- Communicate regularly and engage in collaboration with campus instructional leaders and content leaders to align feedback and support for novice teachers;
- Facilitate professional learning sessions during the summer (Induction) and throughout the school year (Professional Learning Saturdays);
- Work collaboratively with campus leadership to develop targeted growth plans for beginning teachers;
- Track teacher development and observations efficiently;
- Complete Alternative Certification paperwork according to TE and state guidelines;
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Handbook expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Handbook;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- Current teacher and/or principal certification
- Master’s Degree, preferred
- At least three years of teaching experience
- Outstanding record of student achievement results
- Strong knowledge of contributing factors that lead to an effective novice teacher
- Experience with teacher supervision (as a department head, mentor, or coach)
- Experience planning and delivering professional development to adults
Skills and Mindsets:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once;
- Detail-oriented and self-directed;
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year:
Year-round position; some evening and weekend commitments are required
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
- The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Meet Some of YES Prep's Employees
High School Dean of Students
Oscar is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the unique culture, discipline goals, and overall vision of the YES Prep Brays Oaks campus.
Back to top