Dean of Instruction - Northside (IMMEDIATE OPENING)
JOB TITLE: Dean of Instruction – Northside (IMMEDIATE OPENING)
REPORTS TO: School Director
JOB GOAL: The Dean of Instruction helps ensure that YES Prep Public Schools is the best place in the country to develop educational leaders by providing support and guidance to teachers to strengthen instruction across the campus. The Dean of Instruction assists the School Director and/or the Director of Academics in ensuring that YES Prep teachers are highly effective and produce outstanding results. They provide leadership on issues of curriculum, assessment, instruction, and professional learning.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Supervision and Personnel Management
- Manage and develop a cohort of teachers;
- May manage, support, and develop high-caliber instructional leaders on campus, such as Instructional Support Specialist(s), Literacy Specialist, Data Czar, and Librarian as directed by the School Director, through consistent coaching and professional development; and
- May assist a cohort of teachers in developing professional growth plans and attending professional conferences/workshops as time and funds allow.
Curricular and Instructional Management:
- With the School Director and/or Director of Academics, set clear expectations and standards for excellent teaching in all content areas;
- Ensure that students receive outstanding instruction in all classrooms by observing and evaluating a cohort of teachers, including conducting classroom observations, coaching teachers, and monitoring teacher progress;
- Manage the progress toward increased student achievement for a cohort of teachers;
- Help teachers use assessment data to improve the quality and scope of their instruction;
- Assist the School Director and/or Director of Academics in completing midyear and end-of-year evaluations of a cohort of teachers and facilitating midyear and end-of-year meetings;
- Work with district Instructional Coaches to provide targeted support to first- and second-year teachers; and
- Work with Home Office leadership on system-wide instructional initiatives.
Professional Growth and Development:
- Assist in the planning and delivery of professional learning opportunities to campus teachers and staff during beginning-of-year in-service days, as well as select professional development days throughout the school year;
- Demonstrate current knowledge, understanding, and skill in teaching strategies and the learning process;
- Keep well informed about current trends in curriculum and best instructional practices;
- Work closely with Home Office leadership to norm instructional expectations and feedback to teachers; and
- Participate in meetings, workshops, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills and further develop school goals and personnel.
Organizational Management and Communication
- May be asked to serve on the campus-based Leadership Team; and
- Exercise proactive leadership in promoting the vision and mission of the district and campus to the staff, student, parents, and outside community.
- Manage effective instructional systems;
- May be asked to help coordinate the campus’s testing programs at the state and national level;
- Provide leadership in identifying and acquiring appropriate teaching materials, textbooks, and equipment;
- Serve on the campus hiring committee and assist in the selection and placement of instructional personnel; and
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- Master’s (Preferred) from an accredited educational institution
- Certification in Teaching / Instruction
- At least three years of exemplary teaching
- Experience in administration and/or supervision
Skills and Mindsets:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Strong written communication skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once;
- Detail-oriented and self-directed;
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year:
11-month position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
- The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Back to top