Database Administrator (IMMEDIATE OPENING)
DBA (Database Administrator)
Senior Director of Information Technology
The Database Administrator will administer the organization’s operational data store, data warehouse, and application databases. The position is a key strategic role empowering stakeholders to make data-driven decisions by providing secure, high-performance, and high-availability databases for the enterprise.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Plan and allocate database storage and capacity.
- Install, configure, monitor and upgrade Microsoft SQL Server databases on-premise and in Azure.
- Install, configure, schedule, and monitor ETL processes and SQL Server Agent Jobs.
- Control and monitor user and application access to the databases.
- Setup and manage the security of the database within the enterprise architecture.
- Audit data access and encrypt data so as to ensure compliance with education data privacy regulations and policies.
- Trace, monitor system, application, and database performance and optimize the performance of the various databases.
- Plan, provision, and manage the backup and recovery of data.
- Analyze, plan and execute database migrations.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution, preferably in computer science.
- Microsoft certifications are a plus, such as Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA): SQL Server, or Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Data Platform.
- Three to five years of experience in developing and administering database solutions and data warehouses.
- One to three years of experience required administering Microsoft SQL server
- Experience with the Azure cloud and Azure SQL Database is a plus.
Skills and Mindsets:
- Expert knowledge in relational databases, specifically Microsoft SQL Server.
- Hands-on knowledge of the full suite of SQL Server administration tools, including PowerShell.
- Practical knowledge designing and implementing high-performance and high-availability implementations of Microsoft SQL Server.
- Knowledge of SSIS, SSRS, and SSAS.
- Knowledge of database schemas and models, including 3NF, star schemas, cubes, etc. and in developing physical database schemas from logical models.
- Knowledge of database optimization and scaling approaches including indexing, partitioning, sharding, clustering, in-memory tables, horizontal and vertical scaling, etc.
- Knowledge of XML, XML schemas, and loading XML data into SQL Server.
- Because the position requires resolving complex issues, attention to detail is an essential trait in this profession, as is a passion for problem-solving.
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Strong verbal communication skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks at once;
- Initiator and self-directed;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year:
Year-round position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES Prep offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
- The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Back to top