Controller (IMMEDIATE OPENING)
JOB TITLE: Controller (IMMEDIATE OPENING)
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer
JOB GOAL: Responsible for all aspects of accounting, fiscal controls, and coordination of regulatory requirements.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Supervise Accounts Payable Team and General Ledger Team
- Maintain the general ledger: prepare and review journal entries, monitor payroll accounting, coordinate Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable, and ensure compliance with non-profit fund accounting, Texas public school accounting and other requirements.
- Lead monthly accounting close and year-end close including production of monthly financial packages.
- Conduct financial analyses: produce analyses of historical and projected financial information and present analyses to management to facilitate decision-making.
- Coordinate monthly spending and financial performance dialogue with School Directors and Home Office Budget Managers.
- Coordinate revenue sources and fund accounting with the Compliance Team (PEIMS and related processes) and with the Advancement Team (Titles and Grant sources).
- Lead the various audits (e.g., annual financial and 401 (k) audits and other audits are required by other regulatory and oversight entities).
- Maintain relationships with external entities such as State Office of Education and banking institutions.
- Support schools’ business offices in terms of accounting procedures including implementation and improvement of such procedures.
- Oversee financial controls: support implementation of financial policies and procedures and maintain budgetary controls in accordance with GAAP and government requirements.
- Additional duties as assigned
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Excellent financial and organizational skills.
- Ability to inspire others to achieve excellence.
- Solid analytical, communication, influencing and negotiating skills.
- Systems implementation/migration experience a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance from an accredited four-year educational institution
- MBA and/or CPA a plus
- Participate in meetings, workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge/skills, address areas for personal/professional growth, and further team goals and staff.
- 8+ years as an accountant, preferably 2-3 years running an accounting department.
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting and public sector finance preferred.
- Public education finance experience with Charter Schools a plus
- Fluency with various accounting software packages, SunGard and APTA a plus.
- Proficiency with MS Office and advanced capabilities with Excel.
Skills and Mindsets
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional
- Belief that every student can and will achieve
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Strong written communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Detail-oriented and self-directed
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year:
Year-round position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
- The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual preference, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy or veteran status.
Meet Some of YES Prep's Employees
High School Dean of Students
Oscar is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the unique culture, discipline goals, and overall vision of the YES Prep Brays Oaks campus.
Back to top