Content Specialist (2017-2018)
JOB TITLE: Content Specialist (2017-2018)
REPORTS TO: Content Director
JOB GOAL: The Content Specialist serves as an instructional and curricular leader for the district while also having an exemplary teaching record in the classroom. In addition to playing a key role in the development of curricula, the Content Specialist creates and carries out a vision for an effective, rigorous education that allows students to graduate from YES Prep and be ready to enter and graduate from a 4-year college. Recognized as someone with both a deep and a broad understanding of their content area, the Content Specialist provides direction in the areas of standards development including vertical alignment, assessment, intervention, and content-specific pedagogy. The Content Specialist also provides support and guidance to Course Leaders, Deans, Coaches, and teachers across the system with topics relating to curriculum, assessment, and instructional delivery.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Lead a process of collaboration with Course Leaders to review YES Prep district standards on a regular basis to ensure alignment and rigor;
- Make revisions to the YES Prep district standards and curriculum;
- Lead a process for developing YES Prep district and unit assessments, in collaboration with other stakeholders;
- Analyze the results of YES Prep district and unit assessments and help instructional leaders, Course Leaders, and/or teachers use the data to make goals and adjust instruction;
- Manage and coach Course Leaders and Facilitators in the facilitation of regular district meetings throughout the school year to share best practices and resources, norm grading standards, review standards and district/unit assessment frameworks, and other activities that ensure that all students are held to the same uniformly high standards;
- Develop instructional and assessment materials for designated content areas and make them available to teachers and instructional leaders;
- Work to facilitate sharing and collaboration across campuses;
- At the discretion of the Content Director and their manager, teach between one to three periods with no more than two different class preparations;
- Collaborate with campus leadership to design, analyze, and make changes to improve teacher efficacy and student achievement;
- Regularly design and facilitate professional development sessions for teachers and instructional leaders;
- Work with Content Director to support and align to the goals of the greater Academics team;
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Field Guide expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Field Guide;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- Master’s Degree from an accredited educational institution, preferred
- Certification in content area, preferred, required if teaching (Note: ESL certification is required if teaching an English course)
- At least three years of exemplary teaching
- An outstanding record of instruction and student achievement
- Experience in administration and / or supervision, preferably in instruction
Skills and Mindsets
- Knowledgeable about current curricular and assessment strategies specific to that content area;
- Ability to authentically listen to, motivate, and influence all stakeholders;
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment in decision-making;
- Excellent communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to analyze data in order to make improvement recommendations;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on short- and long-term projects;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once;
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year:
12 month position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
- The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Meet Some of YES Prep's Employees
High School Dean of Students
Oscar is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the unique culture, discipline goals, and overall vision of the YES Prep Brays Oaks campus.
Back to top