Chief of Staff (June 2017)
JOB TITLE: Chief of Staff (June 2017)
REPORTS TO: CEO
JOB GOAL: The Chief of Staff is an executive level role that serves to achieve organizational effectiveness through critical strategic areas: CEO Support, risk, compliance and strategic management, Board preparation and relationship management, and Home Office coordination and support including cross functional project management. The Chief of Staff exists to ensure efficiency and alignment within the organization and through the leadership team.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
In close coordination with the Senior Executive Assistant:
- Support and provide strategic advice to the CEO, and represent the CEO as an official of the organization.
- Maximize the CEO’s effectiveness by leveraging his time in a way that ensures maximum focus on highest priority organization issues and initiatives.
- Manage special projects on behalf of the CEO
- Liaise with the CEO’s direct reports to ensure timely communication, collaboration and results orientation
- Ensure the CEO is fully prepared for engagements that require background knowledge building, preparation and strategic thinking
- Lead and host meetings and engagements on the CEO’s behalf
Board Management and Preparation
- Ensure the YES Prep Board of Directors are informed and appropriately engaged.
- Solicit feedback from Board members on items of organizational importance
- Support CEO in developing and adhering to annual Board calendar that includes but is not limited to monthly email updates and delivery of high quality preparation for all agendas and materials (pre-reading and presentation materials) for quarterly Board meetings, committee meetings, and Board retreats.
- Coordinating Board and staff interactions and providing frontline support/coaching to staff members to ensure that they are ready to be successful in Board interactions
- When appropriate (specifically directly before and immediately after Board meetings) attend planning meetings with CEO and Board Chair
- Track member progress in meeting annual Board commitments.
- Identify opportunities to engage board on strategic issues and follow-up with members as appropriate.
Leadership, Planning, & Strategy
- Lead several direct reports inclusive of the Managing Director of Compliance, the Manager of the Home Office, and the Director of Strategy
- Support the CEO in coordinating and leading Team 2020 and other leadership team meetings
- Attend all 2020 commitments and executive-level meetings
- Develop the topic scope and sequence based on our strategic priorities and initiatives
- Develop meeting agendas, ensure high level of preparation for meetings as well as design the plan for follow up and follow through
- Serve as the primary facilitator for strategic and tactical meetings of Team 2020
- Hold peers accountable as necessary for team commitments and assigned action
- Lead the annual planning process of determining our strategic initiatives aligned to our priorities, mission outcomes and goal of 4x by 2020
- Clearly define, communicate and manage toward strong outcomes and timelines for organizational planning and strategic processes
- Determine strategies for our priority of transparency and high levels of collaboration across Team 2020 and the Home Office
- Possible addition to above list: Lead the Diversity Strategic Team to manage cross functional implementation of diversity, equity and social justice initiatives
Risk and Compliance Management
- Lead the Crisis Management Team to minimize organizational risk and to prioritize student and staff safety in any crisis or emergency
- Engage leadership team members, as appropriate, in resolving areas of organizational risk.
- Manage legal relationships with outside counsel
- Manage the risk and compliance departments within YES Prep to ensure organizational health and minimize exposure and risk
Home Office Support and Delivery of Excellent Service
- Manage the Home Office Manager and execution of work towards the Home Office vision of providing excellent customer service to schools
- Ensure the Home Office maintains a healthy culture, highly efficient operating systems and an engaging, functional place to work
Cross Functional Project Management
- Serve as the primary project manager and lead for projects of a highly cross functional nature that have a multilayered approach to organizational change
- Determine appropriate project timelines, communication and training structures that make change more likely and successful across the organization
- Work to ensure successful launch of new initiatives as directed by Team 2020
Professional Growth and Development
- Participate in meetings, workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge/skills, address areas for personal/professional growth, and further develop school goals and staff;
- Apply knowledge and insights gained through professional development. Share this knowledge with staff, campus, and district leaders as appropriate;
- Keep well informed about current trends in area(s) of expertise and provide leadership in incorporating such trends into everyday practices.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible;
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills;
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Handbook expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Handbook;
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics;
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents;
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times;
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction;
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others;
- Demonstrate trustworthiness in dealing in confidential matters;
- Make decisions regarding students and staff after reasonable and appropriate measures have been taken to gather important data and information; solicit input from outside sources when appropriate.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution
- Master’s Degree from an accredited institution, specifically in Educational Leadership, Policy, or MBA
- 5-7 years’ strategic leadership experience in education or other nonprofit environment with a track record of successful project and team management;
- Demonstrated success with long-term planning; strong operational mindsets and skills
- Strong peer and people management track record
Skills and Mindsets:
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools;
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team;
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional;
- Belief that every student can and will achieve;
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives from a variety of sources at once;
- Ability to manage multiple projects of high impact nature at all times
- Detail-oriented and self-directed;
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker;
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress;
- Ability to supervise and evaluate the performance of staff and team;
- Ability to supervise and evaluate the performance of leadership team members and other staff;
- Ability to manage crisis situations that impact individuals as well as large groups;
- Ability to interpret policy, procedures, and data as well as compile and coordinate all forms of data
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year:
Year-round position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required
0 – 5%
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
- The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Meet Some of YES Prep's Employees
High School Dean of Students
Oscar is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the unique culture, discipline goals, and overall vision of the YES Prep Brays Oaks campus.
Back to top