Business Intelligence Architect (IMMEDIATE OPENING)
Business Intelligence Architect
Vice President of Information Services
The Business Intelligence (BI) Architect will focus on designing a world-class education data ecosystem supporting research, driving innovation and accountability throughout the organization using key performance indicators – all with the explicit goal of improving student outcomes leading to college and career success. The BI Architect will work with YES Prep’s leadership to design and sustain a comprehensive longitudinal data warehouse that feeds appropriate data marts, analytics, and visualization tools. The position requires a passion for “all things data” – illuminating data to make it understandable and actionable to achieve measurable results.
ILLUSTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Lead the creation of a streamlined Data Platform based upon the Ed-Fi data standard, including a metadata repository and data governance processes in line with industry best practices.
- Oversee and support the design, development, and implementation of data warehousing, reporting and analytics solutions that deliver information efficiently, with the end goal of student success.
- Use expert knowledge of Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing technologies and business processes to meet YES Prep’s rapidly advancing BI requirements, and recommend technologies, architectures, and solutions.
- Bring expertise of new technologies, platforms and approaches in data architecture, data analytics including Big Data, unstructured data analysis, social network data analytics, etc.
- Document and govern the life cycle of data, including source-to-target mappings, data dictionaries, transformations, and data quality and business rules.
- Collaborate with dashboard/report designers and data scientists to define the necessary data sources, data elements, transformations, and structures.
- Formulate and recommend architectures, techniques, and technologies for achieving maximum performance and efficiency of the business intelligence ecosystem.
- Champion data quality, integrity, and reliability throughout the organization by designing and promoting proper governance and best practices.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
- Participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences to enhance knowledge and skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge, and support of YES Prep Schools’ mission, values, standards, policies and procedures, confidentiality standards, Employee Handbook expectations, and code of ethical behavior as stated in the Employee Handbook.
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws, local board policies, administrative guidelines, and the Texas Educators’ Code of Ethics.
- Serve as appropriate role model for YES Prep colleagues, students, staff, and parents.
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all times.
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks, often changing assignments on short notice, with little to no direction.
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with others.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution, preferably in computer science, software engineering, information systems, or mathematics
- Master’s degree in business intelligence, data management, or data science, is a plus.
- 7-10 years’ experience as the architect for databases and data warehouses.
- 5+ years’ experience architecting, developing or managing mission-critical business intelligence solutions.
- Experience identifying, analyzing, and translating business requirements and rules into intuitive analytical solutions, business scorecards and management dashboards.
- Experience providing BI and advanced analytics solutions for clients utilizing the Microsoft stack (e.g., SQL Server, SSIS, SSRS, SSAS, Power BI, Tabular, PowerPivot, SharePoint, Power View, and Excel Services).
- Desired experience providing cloud-based application solutions; Azure experience is a plus.
Skills and Mindsets:
- Fluent in relational database concepts and file processing concepts (flat file, XML, etc.).
- Skilled in a various forms of data modeling including UML, ER, XML Schemas, SQL, logical and physical database design, dimensional modeling, OLAP cubes, etc.
- Proficiency with data modeling tools, such as ER/Studio, ERwin, PowerDesigner, Enterprise Architect, etc.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and attention to detail.
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic and an attraction to a fast-paced work environment
- Belief in and commitment to the mission and core value of YES Prep Public Schools
- Openness to giving and receiving frequent feedback
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team
- A dedication to learn, grow, and develop as a professional
- Belief that every student can and will achieve
- Ability to work urgently in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Strong written communication skills
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Detail-oriented and self-directed
- Initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to make effective decisions in ambiguous situations
- Introductory-level knowledge of statistics or greater
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Frequent prolonged and irregular hours of duty
- Some light manual labor
- Endure inclement weather conditions to provide for student safety
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year:
Year-round position; evening and weekend commitments also will be required
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation commensurate with experience; YES Prep offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues, and a comprehensive benefits plan including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability, plus supplemental policies, and retirement programs, including the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and a 401(k) plan.
- The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. YES Prep Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
Meet Some of YES Prep's Employees
High School Dean of Students
Oscar is responsible for the creation and maintenance of the unique culture, discipline goals, and overall vision of the YES Prep Brays Oaks campus.
Back to top