Software Engineer - Performance (London)
What You Will Do:
- Design, build and deploy software systems that run 24/7 at great and increasing scale.
- Analyse metrics and code to discover performance regressions and opportunities for optimization, then work with teams across the organization to speed things up.
- Seek out overprovisioning or wasted resources to maintain performance while keeping an eye on the bottom line.
- Write code, document, participate in code reviews, and mentor other engineers.
- Support the systems you’ve built in a follow-the-sun on call rotation.
What We Are Looking For:
- Strong knowledge of distributed systems and application design, with an understanding of operational and reliability trade-offs.
- Solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis.
- A hunger for tracking down root causes—no matter how deep it takes you—and fixing them in systematic ways.
- Strong understanding of operating systems, file systems, networking, and web technology.
- Experience with cloud computing services like AWS.
- Fluency in Python, C, C++, Java, or a similar language.
- Ability to work well with and be able to influence many personality types at all levels of the organization.
- Experience building and supporting large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience working at a large-scale consumer web site.
- Experience with configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, CFEngine), monitoring (Nagios, Sensu, Monit), and metrics (Graphite, statsd, Splunk).
Meet Some of Yelp's Employees
Senior Training Manager, Local Sales
Sahr runs Yelp's Sales Training Team in San Francisco. Combining friendly fun with hands-on learning, she shows new hires how to shine on the sales floor.
Back to top