Software Engineer - Performance
What You Will Do:
- Design, build and deploy software systems that run 24/7 at scale.
- Analyze metrics and code to uncover performance regressions and opportunities for optimization, and work with teams across the organization to speed things up.
- Seek out overprovisioning or wasted resources to maintain performance while keeping an eye on the bottom line.
- Write code, document, participate in code reviews, and mentor other engineers.
- Support the systems you’ve built in an on-call rotation split between US and EU team members.
What We Are Looking For:
- Problem solving from first principles.
- Proven ability to find and fix troublesome performance issues that span multiple systems.
- Experience exploring datasets and turning performance metrics into easily-understood data visualizations.
- Strong performance understanding of some part of the stack. (e.g. operating systems, file systems, networking, web, mobile)
- Strong knowledge of distributed systems and application design, with an understanding of operational and reliability trade-offs.
- Experience with cloud computing services like AWS.
- Fluency in Python, C, C++, Java, or a similar language.
- Built performance tooling to scratch your own analytics itch.
- Experience building and supporting large-scale distributed systems that back a consumer app or website.
- Experience with performance analysis tools. (e.g. cprofile/pstats, flamegraphs, Chrome devtools)
- Experience with real-user/synthetic performance monitoring. (Catchpoint, Navigation / Resource Timing API, webpagetest)
- Experience working with CDNs (varnish, Fastly, Cloudflare)
- Experience integrating performance tools into Continuous Integration/Deployment pipelines
Meet Some of Yelp's Employees
Software Engineer - Mobile Development (Android)
Carmen works on the Android Team, writing code and programming features for Yelp’s mobile app. She connects members to the online community and places Yelp’s resources at their fingertips.
Back to top