Software Engineer - Performance
What You Will Do:
- Design, build and deploy software systems that run 24/7 at scale.
- Analyze metrics and code to uncover performance regressions and opportunities for optimization, and work with teams across the organization to speed things up.
- Seek out overprovisioning or wasted resources to maintain performance while keeping an eye on the bottom line.
- Write code, document, participate in code reviews, and mentor other engineers.
- Support the systems you’ve built in an on-call rotation split between US and EU team members.
What We Are Looking For:
- Problem solving from first principles.
- Proven ability to find and fix troublesome performance issues that span multiple systems.
- Experience exploring datasets and turning performance metrics into easily-understood data visualizations.
- Strong performance understanding of some part of the stack. (e.g. operating systems, file systems, networking, web, mobile)
- Strong knowledge of distributed systems and application design, with an understanding of operational and reliability trade-offs.
- Experience with cloud computing services like AWS.
- Fluency in Python, C, C++, Java, or a similar language.
- Built performance tooling to scratch your own analytics itch.
- Experience building and supporting large-scale distributed systems that back a consumer app or website.
- Experience with performance analysis tools. (e.g. cprofile/pstats, flamegraphs, Chrome devtools)
- Experience with real-user/synthetic performance monitoring. (Catchpoint, Navigation / Resource Timing API, webpagetest)
- Experience working with CDNs (varnish, Fastly, Cloudflare)
- Experience integrating performance tools into Continuous Integration/Deployment pipelines
Meet Some of Yelp's Employees
Senior Training Manager, Local Sales
Sahr runs Yelp's Sales Training Team in San Francisco. Combining friendly fun with hands-on learning, she shows new hires how to shine on the sales floor.
Back to top