Yelp connects people with great local businesses, but who connects search queries to 100+ million reviews on millions of businesses in under 400 milliseconds? Who can select the perfect ad from millions of possibilities before the user can blink an eye? And after that user has found the perfect restaurant and is happily munching on their quinoa salad, who makes sure our logs are transported, transformed, and indexed so that we can create more awesome experiences for them next time? We do: the data backend engineers who make these systems work fast, efficiently, and at scale.
We’re looking for experienced engineers to join our team to build elegant, scalable systems that use NoSQL data stores, data warehouses, batch processing, and stream processing solutions to empower Yelp-wide use of Machine Learning to solve impactful business problems whether it’s providing a delightful user experience, data driven decision-making or ensuring the trustworthiness of Yelp’s content and protecting the platform from abuse. If you’re the person who leads their team to constantly improve existing systems and dives fearlessly into solving complex problems, then we’re looking for you!
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity, and encourages creative solutions to problems. New hires are empowered to deploy working code their first week -- and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager and mentor. At the end of the day, we are all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
This opportunity is fully remote and does not require you to be located in any particular area in Canada. We welcome applicants from throughout Canada.
Where You Come In:
- Build systems that can effectively store and crunch terabytes of data.
- Work on the infrastructure that empowers millions of Yelp’s users to make the best decisions.
- Tackle challenging problems such as personalising ads and search ranking, user location intelligence, clickstream analytics, content type classification, delivering personalized recommended businesses to users and sophisticated bot detection.
- Work closely with other software engineering teams, product managers and data scientists to identify and use the most relevant consumer and business data.
- Gain expertise in cutting-edge infrastructure for machine learning or data analytics or product feature use cases.
- Learn the fine art of balancing scale, latency and availability depending on the problem.
- Mentor other engineers and share the skills you’ve learned.
What it Takes to Succeed:
- A deep understanding of programming languages and the systems you've worked on.
- A passion for architecting large systems with elegant interfaces that can scale easily.
- A hunger for tracking down root causes - no matter how deep it takes you - and fixing them in systematic ways.
- Experience building data pipelines to train and deploy machine learning models and/or ETL pipelines for metrics and analytics or product feature use cases.
- Exposure to some of the following technologies: Python, Java, Scala, Apache Spark, Apache Kafka, Apache Flink, AWS and service oriented architecture, AWS Redshift, AWS Athena / Apache Presto, AWS S3, NoSQL systems like Cassandra.
Vaccination against COVID-19 is not required for this role. We nonetheless encourage all employees to get vaccinated. Employees who are not vaccinated may not visit Yelp’s offices or participate in any in-person work activities, and are not eligible to transfer or be promoted to a role that requires vaccination.
At Yelp, we believe that diversity is an expression of all the unique characteristics that make us human: race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, and education — and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The foundation of our diversity efforts are closely tied to our core values, which include “Playing Well With Others” and “Authenticity.”
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or 415-969-8488.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.