Software Engineer - Backend (Remote)
- Flexible / Remote
Want to join a team where your work makes a significant impact? Yelp is the richest source of local business data and user-generated content in the world. Our remote backend engineers use that data to power our websites and mobile apps. As a backend engineer, you’ll work closely with our mobile and web application developers to bring our 200M+ reviews to millions of users.
Backend engineers are taking on a diverse set of challenges across Yelp engineering. Do you want to make a huge impact on our users looking for the best local businesses? Build products for business owners to get the most out of Yelp? Take on some of the most meaningful problems in distributed computing and API design? We'd love to talk. We are an agile team that creates an amazing experience for millions of Yelpers.
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity, and encourages creative solutions to problems. We enable all new engineers to deploy working code their first week, and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager, mentor and team. At the end of the day, we are all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Where You Come In:
- You will build new features on top of our Service Oriented Architecture.
- You will iterate quickly using Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment principles.
- You will be empowered to articulate a technical vision and execute it.
- You will give back by mentoring other engineers and sharing the skills you learn.
What it Takes to Succeed:
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience.
- You have an understanding of and interest in elegant API designs.
- You have relevant experience in at least one programming language - Python, C, Java, Go, Rust, etc.
- You have a craving for new knowledge and challenges.
- Familiarity with mobile and web development.
- Love of Python.
- Excitement about the challenges of scalability, reliability, and performance.
- Proven SQL knowledge.
At Yelp, we believe that diversity is an expression of all the unique characteristics that make us human: race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, and education — and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The foundation of our diversity efforts are closely tied to our core values, which include “Playing Well With Others” and “Authenticity.”
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or 415-969-8488.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Back to top