Software Engineer - Backend (Big Data)
Yelp connects people to great local businesses, but who connects search queries to 100+ million reviews on millions of businesses in under 400 milliseconds? Who can select the perfect ad from millions of possibilities before the user can blink an eye? And after that user has found the perfect restaurant and is happily munching on their quinoa salad, who makes sure our logs are transported, transformed, and indexed so that we can do even better for them next time? We do: the data backend engineers who make these systems work fast, efficiently, and at scale.
We’re looking for experienced engineers to join our team to build elegant, scalable systems that use NoSQL data stores, data warehouses, map-reduce and streaming solutions to power a whole host of personalized experiences for Yelp’s users and drive optimizations for Yelp’s advertising businesses. If you’re the person who lead their team in replacing an aging system, or dives fearlessly into the guts of a running system to fix that bug everyone else is happy to gloss over, then we’re looking for you!
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity, and encourages “unboring” solutions to problems. New hires are expected to deploy working code their first week -- and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager and mentor. At the end of the day, we are all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
What You Will Do:
- Build systems that can effectively store and crunch terabytes of data, and power amazing experiences for Yelp’s users.
- Learn the fine art of balancing scale, latency and availability depending on the problem.
- Work with product management and data science to identify and use data that is most relevant to the problem at hand.
- Observe the power of AI from up close but more importantly, bring it to the mass(es) of data we have at Yelp.
We Are Looking For:
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience building large scale distributed systems.
- Deep understanding of the programing languages and systems that you've worked on.
- A passion for architecting large systems with elegant interfaces that can scale easily.
- A love for writing beautiful code. We use Java & Python. You don’t need to be an expert, but experience is a plus and we will expect you to learn them on the job.
- Comfort in running services or batches in a Unix environment.
- Minimum BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Math, or related degree.
- A love for delighting Yelp’s users with experiences they shouldn’t live without.
- If you don't have at least one year of experience in a similar role, please take a look at our College Engineering roles instead!
- If you have what we are looking for above, reach out! Everything below is either something you are aware of already, or we will provide you the opportunity to learn on the job.
- Exposure to one or more technologies amongst the likes of ElasticSearch, Hadoop/MapReduce, Spark, NoSQL systems like Cassandra or AWS DB services.
- Active contributor to Open Source software.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Back to top