Yelp connects people to great local businesses, but who connects search queries to 100+ million reviews on millions of businesses in under 400 milliseconds? Who can select the perfect ad from millions of possibilities before the user can blink an eye? And after that user has found the perfect restaurant and is happily munching on their quinoa salad, who makes sure our logs are transported, transformed, and indexed so that we can do even better for them next time? We do: the data backend engineers who make these systems work fast, efficiently, and at scale.
We’re looking for experienced engineers to join our team to build elegant, scalable systems that use NoSQL data stores, data warehouses, map-reduce and streaming solutions to power a whole host of personalized experiences for Yelp’s users and drive optimizations for Yelp’s advertising businesses. If you’re the person who leads their team in replacing an aging system, or dives fearlessly into the guts of a running system to fix that bug everyone else is happy to gloss over, then we’re looking for you!
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity, and encourages “unboring” solutions to problems. New hires are expected to deploy working code their first week -- and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager and mentor. At the end of the day, we are all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
Where You Come In:
- You will build systems that can effectively store and crunch terabytes of data, and power amazing experiences for Yelp’s users.
- You will learn the fine art of balancing scale, latency and availability depending on the problem.
- You will work with product management and data science to identify and use data that is most relevant to the problem at hand.
- You will observe the power of AI from up close but more importantly, bring it to the mass(es) of data we have at Yelp.
What it Takes to Succeed:
- You have 2+ years of relevant industry experience building large scale distributed systems.
- You have a deep understanding of the programing languages and systems that you've worked on.
- You're passionate about architecting large systems with elegant interfaces that can scale easily.
- You love writing beautiful code. We use Java & Python. You don’t need to be an expert, but experience is a plus and we will expect you to learn them on the job.
- You're comfortable running services or batches in a Unix environment.
- At minimum, you hold a BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Math, or related degree.
- You love delighting Yelp’s users with experiences they shouldn’t live without.
- You have exposure to one or more technologies amongst the likes of ElasticSearch, Hadoop/MapReduce, Spark, NoSQL systems like Cassandra or AWS DB services (a plus).
- If you don't have at least one year of experience in a similar role, please take a look at our College Engineering roles instead!
What You'll Get:
- Effective your first day: Full medical, vision, and dental
- 15 days PTO (increases with tenure) and 11 paid holidays
- Up to 14 weeks of parental leave
- Monthly wellness subsidy
- Access to fully stocked Yelp kitchens
- Flexible spending account
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
At Yelp, we believe that diversity is an expression of all the unique characteristics that make us human: race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, and education — and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The foundation of our diversity efforts are closely tied to our core values, which include “Playing Well With Others” and “Authenticity.”
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or 415-969-8488.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.