Yelp is the richest source of local business data and user-generated content in the world, and our application backend engineers use that data to power our websites and mobile apps. As an application backend engineer you’ll be working closely with mobile and web application developers to bring our 100M+ reviews to millions of users all around the world.
Application backend engineers are taking on a diverse set of challenges across Yelp engineering. Want to make a huge impact on our users looking for the best local businesses? Build products for business owners to get the most out of Yelp? Take on some of the most meaningful problems in distributed computing and API design? What about making Yelp an authentic, local experience in over thirty countries? We'd love to talk. We are an agile team that creates an amazing experience for millions of Yelpers.
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values
: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity, and encourages “unboring” solutions to problems. New hires are expected to deploy working code their first week, and your impact will only grow from there with the support of your manager, mentor and team. At the end of the day, we are all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
We Are Looking For:
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Deep understanding of and interest in elegant API designs.
- Mastery of at least one programming language - Python, Objective-C, Java, etc.
- Proven SQL knowledge.
- Experience working in a test-driven development environment.
- Comfortable working in a Unix environment.
- A craving for new knowledge and challenges
- If you don't have at least one year of experience in a similar role, please take a look at our College Engineering roles instead!
- Familiarity with mobile and web development.
- Love of Python.
- Excitement about the challenges of internationalization, scalability, and performance.
- Active contributor to open source software.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.