Do you want to build and manage scaleable, self-healing, globally-distributed systems? Our Site Reliability engineers keep Yelp fast, available, and growing, connecting users to great local businesses. No matter how many times we get searched, scraped, scanned, spammed, pinged, paged, or queried, we gotta keep our cool - and keep the site running smoothly.
We work in both the dev and systems worlds, implementing key parts of the core architecture and supporting devs as they try to do the same. We get to tackle interesting challenges that you can only find at the kind of scale that serves over 100 million users per month.
You'll work to empower product teams and developers: at Yelp, spinning up infrastructure should always be a git commit and a code review away: automation and self-service are at the core of what we do.
Where You Come In:
- Work closely with developers in supporting new features and services
- Build tools to monitor site stability and performance
- Help scale our AWS-based infrastructure (no racking servers or swapping hard drives here!)
- Troubleshoot site issues using industry-leading tools like Splunk and SignalFX
- Automate everything with Puppet, Git, Jenkins, and Terraform
- Develop custom tools when off-the-shelf solutions don’t work at our scale and contribute upstream to open source projects
- Design new systems, tests, and procedures
- Participate in light on-call rotations - we have geographically distributed SRE teams for follow-the-sun support, which means no 2:00 AM pages!
What it Takes to Succeed:
- Mastery of Linux (we use Ubuntu but any distro is fine)
- Command of your favourite modern programming language: Python, Ruby, Go, Rust, Java, C++, etc.
- A solid understanding of fundamental technologies like TCP/IP, HTTP, and DNS
- Knowledge of best practices related to security, performance, and disaster recovery
- Experience with web server configuration (Apache/Nginx/HAproxy), monitoring, trending, and high availability
- Strong scripting and automation skills
- Expertise in Configuration Management (Puppet/Ansible/Chef/etc.)
- Experience with public cloud platforms (we use AWS, but Azure/GCP are fine) and related tooling (Terraform, etc.)
- Experience with Docker or other container technologies
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially, rising to 29 with service
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe and the US
- Public transportation season ticket loan and £58 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, quarterly offsites, locally roasted coffee, happy hours, and more!
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Marriage or Civil Partnership, Pregnancy and Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resume